View Cart View Cart  |  Wish List  |  Checkout

FlexOff
Switching Man to Man
July 09, 2007 09:48AM
I wanted to know if anyone knew of a good switching man to man defense video? And if anyone has run this style of man to man. If so what are the positives and negatives? Can it be run as a full court press?
anonsccoach
Re: Switching Man to Man
July 09, 2007 03:33PM
I don't do it myself, but I think the Kloppenburg SOS Defense is what you want. He has a 3-DVD set that explains the defense and drills, along with a well written book on the defense.
christiang
July 11, 2007 02:05PM
If you are talking about switching screens (but not cuts), e.g. a man-to-man defense, then yes, we did it last year. It worked very well. Matchups can sometimes be a problem, but we are a trapping team so we are all over the floor defending constantly anyway. The great thing is you can deny the cut coming off the screen. The challenge is to teach fronting the screener..

Christian
FlexOff
July 12, 2007 09:44AM
Christian,

What do you mean by, fronting the screener? I have always defended screens by sending the defender under the screen. In the area between the screener and the screener's defender. I called it 3rd man. However, in college, we switched everything. At the high school level, I don't really see coaches exploiting mismatches, and the height difference is not that big of a deal either. I feel switching allows lesser athletic players to keep pressure on at all times, while still maintaining a strong defense. We play elbow-block or pack style man. What type of man defense do you play?
christiang
July 12, 2007 12:18PM
I agree about your thoughts on pressure. We play pressure defense, on-the-line up-the-line, with a lot of trapping and doubling.. But we may play a little more pack oriented with one of my teams next year, but we will still switch screens.

What I mean by fronting the screener is denying the screener inside position or position between the defender and the ball after the screen, on the roll or slip.

The slip (and also the back cut) is without a doubt the hardest thing to defend and can cause confusion between the switching defenders. I teach my guys that they have responsibility for their own man until the cutter passes the screen. The best way to stay in good position is usually by jumping to the ball early, staying on-the-line (- and that goes for both defenders). In other words, the defender of the cutter will have to quickly fight for a deny-position between the screener and the ball. (This is best done by jumping to the ball.)
FlexOff
August 05, 2007 10:02AM
I was thinking a run & jump switch press would go well with a switching man-to-man defense. Do you full court press as well?
christiang
August 05, 2007 11:22AM
Probably more this year than last. Last year we mostly trapped from half court.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 8 plus 6?
SSL Certificates Payment Processing
About Us | Security & Privacy | Shipping | Help | Contact Us | Site Map | Drake University Distance Learning | Gift Certificates | Request Catalog | Affiliates
1-800-873-2730 | info@BasketballCoach.com