View Cart View Cart  |  Wish List  |  Checkout

Coach T
Weights during the season
September 21, 2007 01:59PM
Question: If you have your teams lift during the season, what is the workout? How often, How much?

Our school has a fitness/weightlifting class during the day. It was started obviously for the football program. It has now gotten to the point where the football coaches are making my basketball guys lift on game day. Just curious on your thoughts about what is done in your program.
sebus
Re: Weights during the season
September 21, 2007 08:24PM
Coach T Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Question: If you have your teams lift during the
> season, what is the workout? How often, How
> much?
>
> Our school has a fitness/weightlifting class
> during the day. It was started obviously for the
> football program. It has now gotten to the point
> where the football coaches are making my
> basketball guys lift on game day. Just curious on
> your thoughts about what is done in your program.

Coach
I wouldn't worry too much about them lifting on game days unless it is late in the day. If it is morning I wouldn't be too concerned as long as they weren't maxing out. It shouldn't hurt a kid if he is used to lifting regularly. Heck there is the story of Michael Jordan maxing out his bench at 350 pounds on the morning of an NBA Finals game. I do get concerned about leg work, though, if it is a week we play back to back or 3 games in a week. Try talking with the football coaches about backing players off a little during those times. Most coaches would be reasonable. We all hear about the nightmare football coaches to work with, but I think they are usually pretty rare. The key is if a kid is used to lifted at the intensity they are asked to lift at.
whit
September 22, 2007 11:17AM
As previously stated, working out in the a.m. shouldn't be a problem. If kids are used to the intensity they will be find. The problem with having football coaches working your players is that they tend to lighten up on the guys through football season especially game day and then try to make up for it during basketball season.
Leg workout for basketball players in season should be light sets and reps with a light weight on any squatting movement. Squatting is not a good exercise for players in season and should be monitored closely at anytime with your guys over 6 feet in size.
A study conducted by Memphis State I beleive showed that anytime you move the knee out over the toe for each 1/8 inch it increases sheer on the knee by 20%.
Not completely sure about the numbers, but I already knew this from personal experience.
Most of your leg workout in season should be conducted on Smith Machines so that you can get the toes out in front of the knee. And the leg press, on the leg press they should NEVER lock ou at the top or bury it deep at the bottom.
The most important in season leg work for my kids is the lowere leg. Three angle of clalf raises and a set of toe ups. This helps prevent shin splints and ankle sprains.
I've got some information on the dynamics of training tall athletes I'll try to find it and post the author for you.
Coach Gil
September 24, 2007 12:04PM
I think another problem with non-basketball coaches doing in-season training with the athletes is the plyometric workouts. I have been told by Div. I trainers to never do plyo training in season. I know this is rarely the case in the high school. Like the previous coach stated, basketball is the time for football to get stronger and plyo workouts are a big part of the program. To me, this only lends itself to greater opportunity for overuse and counterproductive injury increases.
Coach T
September 24, 2007 01:32PM
Coach Gil makes a good point. We are running, jumping, etc all of the time. What is too much work on the legs. When do we let them rest so they are game fresh?
whit
September 24, 2007 05:42PM
The question is , "what is too much work on the legs?" That is a tough one. The bottom line is this, basketball is a very high impact activity on a very important and highly used joint. "The knee."
I once read that Mike Schmidt said, "you can't shoot a cannon out of a canoe." He was of course referring to leg strength.
I feel you must do leg training. However, you can't do anything more than basic maintenance during a season. To be a great athlete you must be able to move a load from point A to point B as quickly and efficiently as possible. This is the definition of POWER. To do this you must train the muscles to fire with rapid response. You also must train them with a heavy enough load to cause growth.
You just can't do this during the season and get optimal performance from an athlete. The best example I can think of is preseason , midseason, and postseason vertical jump tests. Over the years I have found that my players would stay at or near thier preseason number through mid season with some deviation to a lesser number. However, after taking 2 weeks off at the end of the season it was not uncommon to see a 10%- 15% gain. This is just the muscle recovering from the high impact activity.
I read statistics that said that roughly 70% of all NBA players suffer from some level of tendonitis. If you are an active athlete during your preadolescent and adolescent years the pain is coming sooner or later. Coaches shouldn't hasten this along by overworking these vulnerable joints when the kid is 16 or 17 years of age.6
bruchu
September 24, 2007 06:58PM
As I coach both basketball and football, my personal opinion is that we can always reschedule lifting around basketball gamedays, but you can't reschedule your games around lifting.

During football season, I expect all the football guys to be in practice and games, mandatory, I don't care if you have AAU ball, or club bball or whatever.

During basketball season, I don't care if a player has lifting (in fact I usually organize our weight room), but you can't miss practices or games.

-------------
[coachingbball.proboards106.com]
[coachingbetterbball.blogspot.com]
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 22 plus 12?
SSL Certificates Payment Processing
About Us | Security & Privacy | Shipping | Help | Contact Us | Site Map | Drake University Distance Learning | Gift Certificates | Request Catalog | Affiliates
1-800-873-2730 | info@BasketballCoach.com