View Cart View Cart  |  Wish List  |  Checkout

CoachC42
Beating a Box and 1?
February 24, 2008 12:34AM
Hey guys, I need some help. I know the team we play this week will run a Box and 1 on our best player, we usually run a play we call baseline where he basically runs off 2 post screens back and forth on the baseline. we also run a four out-one in motion offense.

Any other suggestions to beat this?

Thanks
Anonymous User
Re: Beating a Box and 1?
April 08, 2008 07:26AM
Hi CoachC42,

I was thinking of beating Box n' 1 just yesterday evening, Jayhawks played it for some time in the final game. So, it's a late reply, but maybe not too late.

Well, my guess is that You can't be relying on this particular player that will be manned in Bn'1, so the other guys in team will have to do the work.

The idea is to put Your manned man, the one you claim to be your best player, next to second-best shooter in your team. After you make an extra man next to defense that is in "man" - remember, defensive guard in man is not helping, he is face to face - your second-best shooter will be alone.

Since this doesn't sound ckear even to me, smileys with beer, here is an URL, see it on my blog
[basketballtactics.blogspot.com]
CoachJ22
April 08, 2008 01:21PM
Yeah, that explanation above is not clear at all, no offense. That method sounds to me like one person can guard two people.

The key is to spread the floor. You need a point, a wing, two posts, and a baseline runner.

The point dribbles over to a wing. If you can get the ball to the baseline runner (the one being boxed), get it to him/her. If not, you have a high post and a low post on the ball side to look into.

However, when you swing the ball to the other wing, your baseline runner (again, the one being boxed) will run off of a screen from the low post kid. So in other words, before the low post moves back to the other side where the ball NOW is, he/she must set a screen for the boxed player to either come in the lane and get the pass for a short jumper, or fade cut for a three pointer.

Now since this is a box, remember, you can always go high-low with your posts. If you get it to your high post, you can look to shoot first, pass second, dribble third. Make sure that he/she looks down to the possibly sealed low post for a lay-up. If he/she is not open, look for weakside guard or wing to be open for a jumper.

Any questions, my e-mail should be on the site. If not, I'll send you it.

Coach J
mrwen
April 11, 2008 03:52PM
Screen with the one being denied (especially ball screen).

Also, Penetrate and kick as the four in a zone have more ground to cover and will eventually get out of position.
Coachstew
April 16, 2008 04:45PM
I do one of two things against a box 1 defense. One I put the player being denied on the point, and overload a side. This is pretty effective considering you are essentially playing 4 on 2 on one side of the floor. If the player being denied is not capable of playing the point, I will put them in the post. This forces a 2-3 look from the opponenet, and then I just run normal zone stuff against it.
Coach Harris
February 14, 2009 11:24AM
We start out in a 2-1-2 set. Your slasher runs corner to corner, shooters should be out front, center goes block to block, and put your denied player at the high post and overload the zone ( wing, corner, center on block). This will force the bottom of the box to cover corner, wing, and block. That leaves the denial man and the backside box guy. If you have a good center, This will be one-on-one action. If they start to help down with the backside box guy, the skip to the backside wing is open. Put a shooter in this position. As they start to run at the shooter, if the center seals and flashes back to the ball, he will be wide open. We call this our loaded set.
Wayne Walters
February 14, 2009 02:31PM
I have some unique ideas that I will send samples of to anyone interested ...

Wayne Walters
Coach Mac
April 09, 2009 11:55PM
In order to beat the box and 1 along with any junk style defense look at what the defense is designed to do? What is the other team trying to stop?

I might suggest you take a look at pick and roll series with the boxer (person being guarded by the 1) starts in with the ball and a screening action is set to clear a pick and roll. Often if you've got a player good enough for a box situation all they need a little day light, a simple screen can free him up. Of course do this out of an offensive set, not just the simple pick and roll action.

You might also try a 1-3-1 like the 'power series' and 'hoop shuffle' in the Hype Offensive attack.

Coach Mac
Founder
@#$%& Basketball Playbook
Wayne Walters
April 10, 2009 08:28AM
Key #1 : Gap the zone like you would against any zone and flash to zone holes from behind.

Key #2 : Have players being zoned screen for players being chased M2M.

Key #3 : Offensive rebound, the chasers will face guard and will find it difficult to block out plus the triangle or box or diamond is
not a regular zone with asigned block out rules.

Key #4 : Do not force the ball to players being denied.

I hope this helps!!
efthomas
April 13, 2009 11:09AM
Here is a set if your player being denied is a good shooter you can free him for a good shot with flare screens, and we have used something I called pistol:

Denied player sets a ball screen on the wing for your next best shooter who drives middle

A post sets a flare screen for the Denied player who fades to the corner

Options:
Best player flaring to the corner for 3/drive closeout
2nd best shooter attacking FT line Pull-up/Drive
Post rolling to the block (will be open if the defense rotates out to the shooter)
Weakside Wing = 3rd Shooter
Weakside Block = Other post
Coach Mac
April 15, 2009 08:42PM
Coach when it comes down to beating the junk defense there is two common trains of thought; the traditionalist would say run your regular man-to-man offense and if executed correctly it will work. Others like myself see the 'junk defense' as an opportunity. We run our shooters/scorers (whoever is being boxed or defended) off of a series of carefully set single/double screening actions. You can find more in our resource regarding the fast break and beating the junk defense.

Coach McKinnis
Author
Fast Break Offense + Attacking the Junk Defense
Adam
April 21, 2009 12:19PM
My thought process is a little simpler in that I try to expose the defense for its junk qualities and force them to use something else. I make a simple adjustment. I bury the man being boxed on the block, next to one of their other defenders, so that you have 2 guarding one. On the opposite side of the floor, I have my point pass to the wing and go through to the corner. So, on the ball side, I have my wing, my corner and a post player. Then I bring the opposite wing to the ball-side high post and overload the ball side completely. The ball side post defender either has to go get my guard in the corner or stay home. With the ball side wing having the ball, the ball side elbow defender must get him, which frees up the high post. If the opposite side post comes up to help, I have a 1-on-1 with my best player in the post or an open 3 in the corner. Essentially, whe you overload that side, you have 2 and a half defenders guarding 4 players.
Wayne Walters
April 21, 2009 06:44PM
I like the strategy but what if you have no three point threat to put in the corner or post threat that can go one on one low.

When I have had at least two perimeter shooters and a low post threat, defeating Junk D is not a problem.

What if I need to get the ball to my "star" player touches and can not afford to let him or her weak sit on the block opposite.

Good depth and talent makes X's and O's easy but what is you are junked by a team with better athletes or you don't have great shooters.

Looking forward to your response.
reginald ryder
December 06, 2010 10:00AM
I have used this, try it and see if it works...

I have the player being denied run the baseline and receive a double screen from the low block player(s) to the deep corner or up to the foul line extended. it will ultimately wear out the defender, and cause enough interference for my player to get clean looks. make sure conditioning is a factor for them to worry about, not your team
anonsccoach
January 24, 2011 08:45AM
I know it is available through a different site, but Jamie Agnelli has produced a great DVD on attacking Junk Defenses. He lays out several attacks to various Junk D looks that you could see. The video is available through syskos.com.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 8 plus 25?
SSL Certificates Payment Processing
About Us | Security & Privacy | Shipping | Help | Contact Us | Site Map | Drake University Distance Learning | Gift Certificates | Request Catalog | Affiliates
1-800-873-2730 | info@BasketballCoach.com