View Cart View Cart  |  Wish List  |  Checkout

Anonymous User
How to become a coach
October 06, 2008 02:00AM
I have a question. When I was younger I really enjoyed basketball but then as I got into high school I got out of it. But now that I am in college I am getting back into it. If I wanted to go to school for coaching, would it matter that the only playing experience I have was youth league and jr. high games and tons of pickup ball? Also, would I be looked down upon by others who have tons of playing experience? Sorry if this is a dumb question im just trying to do research about going into coaching
JohnCarrier
Re: How to become a coach
October 06, 2008 06:40AM
Hey - GREAT question!! PERSONALLY I do not believe you need a ton of experience to be a coach. What you need to have, however is a passion for the game, a passion for kids, and the willingness to work hard. If you have those two things, you are going to be fine.

As far as the playing experience goes, I don't think it's even an issue usually. If someone asks, just tell them the truth. But I was never an all-star in high school and the topic of my playing days has never really come up.

So my advice to you is go for it. Contact as many coaches as you can to get advice and start coaching ASAP. See if you can get a job as a youth coach or volunteer with a local HS to get your feet wet. You can then build from there. Also, tap resources such as this message board and others to get coaching advice. There are some great coaches out there who will help you a ton, I know they have helped me out!! Anyway, hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Good luck,

John Carrier
Steve23
October 22, 2008 04:06AM
You will probably need to do a course to get qualified. Whether it is required or not, it will help you get a job.
Anonymous User
November 01, 2008 11:57PM
I was just hired by the local HS as an assistant, and I never played HS ball. I didn't really start figuring out the game until I was in college and played a lot. I have a main non-coaching job so my path isn't what you are looking for if you want to be a highly paid D1 coach...

If you can volunteer your time I imagine almost every HS program could use a volunteer assistant. I wanted to get some experience so I started volunteering as a recreation league coach, then after a year or two I took some of the better players I knew and formed an AAU/SuperLeague team. When those kids got to HS I went to the HS coach and offered to help last year with the spring AAU season. This gave him a chance to evaluate me, my style and personality in a more relaxed setting than the regular season. Then about a month ago he called and asked if I was interested in the Soph Coach job and I jumped at it. Comparing time lost from regular job + money spent on gas, books, videos, etc against the paltry salary I will probably lose money, but that's the price we pay for love.
Anonymous User
November 02, 2008 12:05AM
Re: Steve23 - To officially join the HS staff where I live you don't have to do anything if you have a degree in phisical education or related field. My degree was in economics so I had to take a 4-5 hour NFHSS Fundamentals of Coaching course as well as a CPR/Sports First Aid course.
catamount
January 28, 2009 02:05PM
I was cut by my High School Team. I started coaching when my son was in the 3rd grade. Spent as much time as I could reading asking questions, visiting web-sites like this. When he reached 7th grade I was offered the job which I refused because I had promised myself that I would not coach him past elementary school. I became coach of the 8th grade and the follwing year when the freshman boys coach resigned 2 weeks before the season I took over that position, Two things that I have maintained are a passion for the game and the humility to recognize that I must continually learn. Good Luck to you.
ex player
coaching
May 04, 2009 12:16AM
Need help!i am 36yr old and i have been playing professional basketball in europe for the last 12 years.i all ways wanted to coach when i was finished playing.over the years i've been captain of a few teams and have ran practices,conditioning,scouting reports,ect. and even been the person to pick new players based on talent.since high school there no telling how many summer camp ii have been a councelor at and the mumber of teenagers i have personal trained.Not to mention the thousands of games i have played.but none of this is on paper because i was playing and my resume only says where i have played and my accomplishments as a player.there is so much that i didnt write but i think you get what i am asking.My ideal job now would be a small college or an assistant at a bigger school.do you think it is possible?thanks
Steve23
May 13, 2009 06:43AM
I think that being an ex-professional player in Europe, you can put together a very impressive resume.

If I was hiring for assistants and one of the guys had that much experience I'd want to hire him.

Give it a shot. Good luck.
ThomasHD
December 30, 2009 04:27PM
I am a high school senior and i want coach basketball really bad but I haven't played any in my high school time does anybody have any advice for me?
Coach Nielsen
January 22, 2010 04:00AM
Be confident. I am also a high school senior and I quit playing basketball my sophomre year. I started coaching at my middle school last year. Last year I only coached girls season because I am a girl. This year I went out on a limb and coached boys. The other coaches were much more experienced but I worked hard and earned their respect. Confidence is key. You dont have to be great at basketball you just need to know how the game.
andyy
June 12, 2010 04:49PM
i was used to ply basket ball in india iwas represent nation team and now am in canada i want to became a coach pls reply me how it can be possible for me
bec am 36 now and stil ply as hobby as am just went college reply tx
y
August 25, 2010 12:44PM
how old should you be to coach elementary age kids in basketball?
MTECOACH
August 31, 2010 07:36PM
Hi, I have been coaching basketball at the high school level and at youths camps for the past ten years. I also played one year of collegiate ball. I recently graduated college and am interested in coaching in college or overseas. I need to know more about getting contact info, especially for overseas. I took two years in Spanish in college but am certainly no where near fluent. If you have any ideas about where I should go from here that would be great.
Cameron
October 12, 2010 01:38PM
I am a senior in high school and was wondering on what classes would be the best since i want to become a basketball coach my father is a coach at a junior college and i have been playing since i was four i would like to play d2 basketball after highschool somewhere but after all of that i want to coach starting in high school making my way up what are my options.
Rudolf
Re: How to become a coach?
December 02, 2010 06:55PM
What courses do I need to take to be a Basketball coach?confused smiley
Eric Misunas
March 31, 2011 10:50AM
In addition to all the excellent advice given above, I would add networking to the list of important aspects you'll need at any level. I have coached at middle school, freshmen, JV and varsity levels but only now do I have the confidence to pursue a job at the college level. I moved to a new area so I needed to start all over again with my networking. Summer camps and clinics are a great way to meet coaches and network. I also began working with Coach Randy Brown www.coachrb.com at College Coach Now which is a mentoring program for coaches. Coach RB and the other coaches are there to bounce information off each other and there is an large library of information (articles, videos, plays, workouts, etc) that you will have access to.
Any direction you chose will be a great and rewarding experience.

Good luck
Loxley Gregory
May 18, 2011 01:53PM
I am an inspiring coach who wants to know is a college degree a requirement and if so is physical education a good major to pursue. I am twenty-one years old i have been playing basketball since i was six but i love seeing others achieve greatness. How can i get my foot in the door as a coach. Thank You
Makenna
June 12, 2011 06:03PM
I'm a sophomore in HS, and a really want to be a coach/teacher when I get older. I'm looking into all of the classes for the teaching credential I would like to get, but I don't know what to take for coaching! A little help? Maybe a couple recommended courses?
Amber
June 30, 2011 01:40PM
Hey there, seems like you have much experience as a coach. Having said that, I am interested in coaching and later starting a summer league. Would you be able to provide we with some advice on how to get started coaching a community team?

By the way, I played middle and high school basketball as well as AAU and even played in the first two years of college. I wound up getting married having a son and not returning to the court. Although I lost 2 years of eligibility, my hunger for the game still remains.

Any advice for me? where do I begin? what will i need?
Jalil Wilson
July 18, 2011 02:47PM
Hello my name is Jalil Wilson. I am a resident at Berkshire Farm in Canaan, N.Y. I am trying to learn how to become a baketball coach when I get older and graduate from collage.
Mike Lee
August 21, 2011 11:29PM
I wrote an article that might be of some help on this.

[www.mikeleebasketball.com]

--

Mike Lee
www.mikeleebasketball.com
Danie1Hernandez
December 28, 2011 04:27PM
Hey everybody,

My name is Daniel Hernandezi have coach at my local Boys and Girls Club for two year but i want to advance my coaching to high school and middle school teams i am willing to volunter as an assistant coach i live in the inlandempire area in california please let me know what i could do to get an oppurnity like that ? my email is: danie1hernandez@yahoo.com
joseph boyd
January 16, 2012 10:00AM
do i have to take a lot of math classes in college to be a coach
Malone
January 19, 2012 11:28AM
I am 20 years old and I want to become a coach or start my own little league basketball or football team. I love both sports and I also have a deep connectino with children? What steps do I need to pursue to become or start my own team? If you could email me ASAP i would greatly appreciate it! my email is pookie_542@yahoo.com
kp
February 16, 2012 10:51AM
Does anybody know what is needed to become a basketball coach on the highschool level or Jr high... Besides knowledge of the game..... I mean more like do you need a certain degree or any degree at all... A certain major.. things like that
Unknown
February 16, 2012 01:40PM
What if we never had any basketball experience, but you still know everything there is to know about basketball. Would it be harder for me because ive never really had an experience especially because i'm a girl?
Laura
March 07, 2012 06:10AM
Hey
I am a primary school teacher but working in a Infant school working with children upto year 2 age 7years, I am really struggling to find a company in the wolverhampton west midlands area that will come into school and teach basketball as an after school clubs to the children this younger. I was wondering if you knew if it was possible for me to train or get any qualification so I could teach basketball in my school ?
Thanks
Laura
x
Hannah
May 27, 2012 09:45AM
I am 14 and i really want to be a basketball coach when i grow up. What things can I do right now? I am readig books about coaching and reasearchig. Also, what degrees do you need. This may be a stupid question....
Monty
February 18, 2013 04:57PM
I am 21 years old and want to become a coach. My question is, do I have to have a teaching degree? Second, what are the requirements for becoming just a coach, and not a teacher?
FunBballCoach
February 23, 2013 07:42AM
Hi Coaches

Depending on where you live the requirements will be different.

In many cases coaches are volunteers and so the club, association, school is just happy to have someone there. Initially there will be few requirements.

But as a coach you should be looking to find mentors and more experienced coaches to draw upon for assistance.

Additionally, there are some states and basketball bodies that offer course for a range of coaches.

You do not need to have a teaching degree unless is is a specific requirement of the job posting. Obviously each employer wants certain things from its employees and this maybe one of them.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Functional Basketball Coaching
www.functionalbasketballcoaching.com
Twitter: @funbballcoach

Like Us on Facebook!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 15 plus 5?
SSL Certificates Payment Processing
About Us | Security & Privacy | Shipping | Help | Contact Us | Site Map | Drake University Distance Learning | Gift Certificates | Request Catalog | Affiliates
1-800-873-2730 | info@BasketballCoach.com