View Cart View Cart  |  Wish List  |  Checkout

gamedevil
hiring an assistant coach
March 12, 2009 07:19AM
what questions do you ask in the interview of a new assistant coach?
Wayne Walters
Re: hiring an assistant coach
March 12, 2009 06:01PM
I have a couple things that I can pass along. Leave an e-mail.
Coachtrb
March 12, 2009 09:51PM
How about leaving the answer here and helping us all out?

Thanks -
Coach TRB
Wayne Walters
March 13, 2009 03:37PM
Coach,
Here are some sample questions based on about fifty interviews that I have been a part of on both sides of the desk. These will help you to prepare for the interview by putting into words your experiences and beliefs in a concise manner. Try to limit your response to a few sentences. If you need to practice, write them out ... edit as needed ... have someone ask you the questions in random order without notes. Keep in mind that you do not want to sound stiff but natural so you do not need to answer word for word like a script. Do some research, if needed, on the head coaches style and the basketball history of the school. Hopefully, you have already decided if this is someone that you can work with and learn from?

1. Why do you feel that you are the best person for this job?
2. What qualities would you look for if you were hiring an assistant?
3. What is your overall basketball philosophy and its role in the educational setting?
4. What would you try to teach your players besides basketball? How would you do that?
5. What are your strengths and weaknesses as a coach?
6. What is the role of an assistant coach in building a program?
7. How would you deal with a player that complained about the head coach or the program?
8. What are three things that your previous experience in coaching have taught you?
9. What person and or event has had the most influence on you life? Why?
10. How has coaching affected your life?
11. What do you know about our basketball program?
12. What are your coaching goals? Where do you hope to be in 5, 10, 15 years?
13. Who are your role models in coaching and why?
14. What are your best and worst memories in coaching?

I hope these sample questions help you prepare and best of luck on your interview. Have a blessed day! Keep me posted.

Wayne Walters

PS. Coach TRB you have an interesting way of asking for free stuff. How does that work for you in the real world?
Coachtrb
March 13, 2009 06:12PM
This is a free and open forum -- give and take, question and answer.

I ask questions when I have questions (at no charge) and I answer questions when I have answers (for no charge).

It works well in a forum setting.

Are you only here for profit?
Wayne Walters
March 13, 2009 06:22PM
What profit do I receive for sending free stuff to fifty coaches a
week from this forum?

It is simply easier on my end to send premade material instead of cut and paste or typing out answers.

If you look at a number of my original posts, ones that I created, I gave information or posed questions and I just caught hell for posting too much. On another board I post on, one coach has posted close to one thousand times in less than a year and he gets "exalted" on this board you get attacked. I challenge you to list a coach on this board that has shared more for free.

If it was about profit, why send free stuff and why take the time?
I have not made a penny from this board so your question does not make sense?
COACH S
January 24, 2013 10:28PM
Thanks for the questions! I am a first year coach trying to find GA for my lacrosse team, but many of your questions can be used for all sports! I truly appriciate the ones that i had not thought of, like what will you teach your players outside of the sport! Thanks a ton!
Wayne Walters
January 26, 2013 09:37AM
COACH S,

Where can I send you a couple more things about interviews and assistants?

Wayne Walters
Kelly R
May 22, 2014 10:52PM
Very helpful, thanks! Preparing for an interview :-)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 23 plus 2?
SSL Certificates Payment Processing
About Us | Security & Privacy | Shipping | Help | Contact Us | Site Map | Drake University Distance Learning | Gift Certificates | Request Catalog | Affiliates
1-800-873-2730 | info@BasketballCoach.com