View Cart View Cart  |  Wish List  |  Checkout

demons74
Game strategy
January 21, 2012 09:57PM
Coaching 10-11 yr old boys, we had a great chance for our 3rd win tonight. Up 11-4 at the half. In the 3rd quarter it started going downhill. Our leading scorer called "press" and decided we needed to full court m2m press. As a 2nd year coach I didn't realize until later my mistake.

I should have brought the boys back into our half court (paint with ball pressure) defense. Instead the other team got several open looks and made their shots. On top of that, my PG got into a 1 on 1 contest with their PG, instead of running the offense and giving cushion on D since this kid was FAST.

Long story, but my QUESTION is, would you agree in the philosophy that if you're winning and controlling the game with half court offense and defense, then stick with that, but only when your down late in a game, run a full court press?
WAyne Walters
Re: Game strategy
January 22, 2012 10:22AM
Why is your leading scorer or any other player putting you in a "press"? Only the coach calls press ... the very first time it happened and then either they scored or you rebound call time out and bench the player who called time out ... unless you gave them permission to do this ... your mistake was allowing this to happen/ continuing to press.

Wayne Walters
demons74
January 22, 2012 12:37PM
Thanks I appreciate your input on this and your many other posts. I am learning but it takes me a while to process these things. Can you answer my strategy question, does it make sense to stay in half court defense when it's working and we have a good lead?
WAyne Walters
January 22, 2012 07:51PM
If it is not broke don't fix it.

Wayne Walters
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 8 plus 6?
SSL Certificates Payment Processing
About Us | Security & Privacy | Shipping | Help | Contact Us | Site Map | Drake University Distance Learning | Gift Certificates | Request Catalog | Affiliates
1-800-873-2730 | info@BasketballCoach.com