View Cart View Cart  |  Wish List  |  Checkout

Jules
Challenging high school players
February 22, 2012 12:48PM
I help out with my son's highschool basketball teams and although the season is coming to a close, they have the opportunity to compete at the district finals, perhaps moving on to the provincial (Ontario) finals.

The great thing about the boys on the team is that they play like friends. The worse thing about the boys is that they practice like friends. By that, I mean that they don't really challenge each other, especially on defense. This group of boys has a couple of phenomenal scorers and as a result, their defense has gotten lazy so, despite the lateness in the season, I am wondering if you can help me encourage more toughness on defense during practices.

I have thought of a couple of drills where if they fail, they have to run laps. For example, a player on defense (D) is matched up with a player on offense (O). 10 players are on the court and it is the responsibility of D to play deny defense on O as much as O tries to get open for the ball and his team tries to get the ball to him. If D cannot deny O of the ball for a set amount of time (ie, O secures the ball), then D has to run 2 laps. Then new players fill the role of D and O.

Any other ideas?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 19 plus 19?
SSL Certificates Payment Processing
About Us | Security & Privacy | Shipping | Help | Contact Us | Site Map | Drake University Distance Learning | Gift Certificates | Request Catalog | Affiliates
1-800-873-2730 | info@BasketballCoach.com