View Cart View Cart  |  Wish List  |  Checkout

anonsccoach
Bo Ryan Swing Offense
January 14, 2008 03:18PM
I am looking into running this offense next year. I will have a more balanced team skill-wise next year, without a true post player. I am thinking of something in a continuity. I have considered the flex as a bse offense, but it is just so common that many defenses can cover it easily. Sysko has several videos on the swing, and I was just curious if anyone here had ever run it and what they thought.
coach_llopez
Re: Bo Ryan Swing Offense
January 16, 2008 03:47PM
We run it at our high school. I wasn't sure at first but we've really got a lot of scoring chances off it. Everyone is a threat in the offense and it's fairly easy to learn.
Coach W
January 17, 2008 07:12AM
Coach Lopez, can you email me I am interested in the offense & have a few questions for you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2008 01:39PM by nate.landas.
anonsccoach
January 17, 2008 05:11PM
Why don't you ask the questions here? I would love to hear more about it. Don't be so secretive.
Coach W
January 18, 2008 05:46PM
1) I like to be secretive
2) I have some pretty specific and "lengthy questions."
3) The computer I use at work cannot access this website.. however I can use the e-mail
LCoach
January 22, 2008 05:38PM
LOL -- Sounds like some good reasons to me!
anonsccoach
January 23, 2008 03:23AM
All the same, I asked the questions about the offense. I would like to know what is being said about it. I didn't step in and start a thread asking if two other coaches would start a conversation on the swing offense and not include me.
HABB
January 23, 2008 03:16PM
anons, I ran the Swing with my girls varsity team last year and was pretty happy with the offense. It's easy to implement and break down. I decided to run the offense because I had three kids who could score a little with their back to the basket. If I had more than one post who was any good, I would strongly consider running the offense again.

We struggled at times when teams switched the upscreen or if our up screener was slow to set their screen. I chose to employ some motion concepts like cutting the guard through and we were fine. On the switch, we ran the cutter to the corner and sealed and cut to the rim with our screener.

Are there any other modicications coaches have made that were helpful? I hope this gets the thread back on track because I too would like to hear from some of the Swing coaches out there.
Coach_LLOPEZ
January 23, 2008 03:44PM
We have some problem this year when that happens too! We've struggled to find a solution for the switch on the upscreen. Any addional ideas would be great!

HABB what is your email address? I like to ask you a couple of questions.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2008 01:40PM by nate.landas.
anonsccoach
January 23, 2008 03:52PM
I coach varsity girls as well. Next year, I will have a group that is fairly quick and athletic, but I will not have a true center. I am looking for an offense besides the open post that can spread us out and take advantage of quick cuts and back screens. From the little bit I have seen, it seems like the swing would be good for this situation. After your comment though, I am wondering if you would say that having size would be better here. Would you say that the offense is geared more to teams with strong post players (with size)?
anonsccoach
January 23, 2008 03:53PM
...again with the e-mails... this is a message board folks! You are supposed to post questions and replies here.
HABB
January 23, 2008 05:10PM
anons, In my mind, if you're looking for something with a lot of quick cuts and screens, I don't think the Swing is the answer. I think it's best options revolve around getting the ball inside off the backscreen (or flex cut), the screener stepping to the ball just like the flex and the high-low off the upscreen. But like any offense, you get what you emphasize as far as spacing and cutting is concerned. We added more motion concepts to the swing as the season proressed

I'm actually running open post motion this year and really like it. I don't have any posts and it's help to spread teams out and is very fundamental.
LCoach
January 23, 2008 05:12PM
Uh-oh. annons has his panties in a ruffle again. What ever you do, don't send emails to each other or annons is going to take his ball and go home and leave comments like "I didn''t ask to be asked to be emailed, I asked to be answered, blah, blah blah"

I obvoiusly am just joking around. This is a place to relax, share some ideas and have fun. If people want to email, let them email. If people want to post comments, so be it! Do be wound so tight.

All of that being said, I feel the swing offense is a good starting point. It can be tweaked very easily to suit your needs. If you like more screening action, that make a subtle change. If you are more perimeter oriented it can work with you just as well as it can if you have strong post play. If anyone has any more questions send me an email. (just kidding)
guruarmy
April 27, 2008 02:23AM
Do you need to have lots of size to run the swing offense. I know Wisconsin has size, but did his Wisconsin Platteville basketball team have size as well?
anonsccoach
April 27, 2008 05:32PM
I have the video, and the players in that video didn't have much size, ofcourse they were a DIII school.. I am not sure how they related to their opponents.
ck
May 02, 2008 03:07PM
Coach... Have you seen the new quick hitters and entry video Bo Ryan just released thru Syskos. If so, is it worth the money?
anonsccoach
May 02, 2008 04:15PM
I have one of his videos on entries. It is not the new one. It is pretty good. It has several entries leading into the swing. Coach Ryan also explains different scenarios in which you would use each one. To be honest, every video that I have seen Ryan make, is a good one. He is an excellent teacher, and he does a really good job in his breakdown of drills and rules.
Darrell
August 14, 2008 04:41AM
Guys,

I have a 4-page excerpt on the UW-Platteville Swing Offense that I was given many years ago by someone from the area. I don't know where it came from--it looks almost like it came from a "pamphlet"--and it is pages 6, 7, 8 & 9. Page 9 is the "Regular Swing--3 short paragraphs.

Is there more to it than this? Is there some place that might have it online for me to look at? I coach a 2nd grade boys basketball team--coached them last year as 1st graders, and most of them will be continuing to play together, and thought this would be ideal.

Thanks in advance.
coachj444
August 14, 2008 05:07AM
I'm not telling you what to run but I would not teach patterned offense or set plays to players that young. They have not developed the fundamentals necessary to play the game or to run any specific offense. At that age a basic 5 out would be the best. Each kid must learn how to pass and cut, dribble to the basket, move without the ball and maybe set an occasional screen or two away from the ball to get a teamate open. Take a look at anything by Jerry Petitgoue for youth offense. You proabably won't want to spend the money but the first 3-4 layers of the Read and React Offense by Better Basketball/Rick Torbett would be great for this age.
Coach_L
August 14, 2008 09:55PM
Swing is not a hard offense for kids (middle school or high school age), but I would agree with coachj444. I think that trying to run swing with 2nd graders is way too early. I think they would have a hard time with it and as he said..... I would work with them on passing and cutting.

Jerry P. Youth offense would be good. He shows the open post and a easy 3-out 2 in offense. Your choice of course, but I would try to teach the kids to play rather than teaching an offensive pattern.

Just my 2 cents. I hoped I helped.
JohnCarrier
September 01, 2008 01:44AM
First, I will disclaim this post by saying I'm not a swing coach. I've studied the offense however. I have the tape by Coach Ryan on the Swing - and I personally thought it was pretty good, shows a lot of the basics and for someone who isn't very well versed it it, it's pretty good. If you are looking to run the offense, might as well pick up the tape.

I also wanted to add with the discussion on the swing that I think you could potentially run it nicely with some drive and kick action. Adding this action would be effective if it was your program offense and you happened to have good guards. When the opportunity presented itself you instructed your players to drive, and when they don't have the drive they simply pass and run the next part of the swing - depending on the pass.

Hope this helps,

John Carrier
Coach H
September 02, 2008 02:03AM
We run the swing. It works very well for us at the high school level. We do not have size. The key to the offense is reading the screen set on the wing player. We spend lots of time working on the reading against different defensive screen strategies. The offense works so well for us that teams that normally played man against us now play zone. As I said we do not have size. We personally don't get much out of the post. We get a lot of penetration and mid-range jumpers.

We have also designed quick hitters out of the formation that flow into the offense.
JohnCarrier
September 02, 2008 02:57AM
Coach H -

Just curious, do you have your players drive and kick out of the Swing, since you don't have any size??

John Carrier
bird_4_3
Coach H please read this
September 05, 2008 12:25PM
Coach could you email me with the drills you use to breakdown the offense. Also do you have the quick hitters on paper that we could exchange
Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2008 01:11PM by nate.landas.
Coach H
September 05, 2008 05:26PM
Because of the lack of size we do penetrate and kick, but we find the best penetration comes on a skip from the lane line to the opposite wing. Great penetration there especially after a couple swings. Key not to force penetration which is hard for the kids to understand especially your best players. On the penetration the lane is usually open to the rim because the continous swinging of the ball. We attack the offensive glass. Last year when we received an offensive rebound 75% of the time we scored or were fouled.

As far as breakdown drills we created shooting drills out of the movements of the offense designating the different cuts players make in the drill. We break the offense down to discuss the angles and spacing then practice in the whole method full-court. We want it to be a concept of order but with a 4 out 1 in motion feel playing right out of the transition. The transition structure is an extention of the floor positioning we want in the offense. Players feel free to play, but adjustments are easier because of the order of having a mild pattern.

bird_4_3 send your email and I would be happy to send yo what I can.
bird_4_3
September 05, 2008 05:40PM
Coach H my email address is allen_woods4372@yahoo.com

Please email me.
guruarmy
September 05, 2008 07:00PM
Coach I would also love to have the breakdown drills and quick hitters. My email is sarmstrong@kcisd.net

Thank you,
Sean Armstrong
CoachSW
September 06, 2008 12:13AM
Coach H,

I'd like to have the breakdown drills and quick hitters too. My email is wanlab@hotmail.com

Thanks,
CoachSW
Coach A
October 09, 2008 02:30AM
Coach H , I would also like this info. I have the video on the way but any help would be appreciated as the season is getting close. Thanks in advance. My e-mail is indeesports@indytel.com
Coach B
October 16, 2008 06:06AM
Coach H, I am running this offense for the first time at the high school level. If you could email the drills I would appreciate the help. chavezb@scc.losrios.edu
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 11 plus 21?
SSL Certificates Payment Processing
About Us | Security & Privacy | Shipping | Help | Contact Us | Site Map | Drake University Distance Learning | Gift Certificates | Request Catalog | Affiliates
1-800-873-2730 | [email protected]