View Cart View Cart  |  Wish List  |  Checkout

madmoves
HABB "open post"
January 23, 2008 06:28PM
Hey coach can you tell me alittle about you open post offense. I just startedrunnign and enjoying putting it together I would just like to hear some ideas on how they run their open post.
HABB
Re: HABB "open post"
January 25, 2008 01:24PM
Madmoves, This is my first year runnning the open post and have really enjoyed running it. I've used it strictly as a motion offense instead of dictating play. I want players to pass and cut or pass and screen away. The things I work on the most with my kids are encouraging them to backcut (and finish to the rim) anytime the ball is dribbled at them or they are overplayed, attacking the middle of the floor off ball reversal, and setting and reading downscreens.

As is any offense, spacing is really important. All five players need to get outside the arc as quickly as possible. My team struggles when we have more than one cutter cutting through the post at a time and don't fill the five spots (point, wings, corners). I've stressed pausing prior to cutting or screening in order to keep the middle of the floor open.

I'd like to hear from some other coaches about what they're doing with the open post. I've heard "Coach N" knows a lot about the open post.
coachn
January 25, 2008 07:19PM
This is also my first year running the offense and I love it. We run 2 versions, 1 is only cutting with only a couple of rules:

1. Read the defense
2. On a pass from point to wing basket cut
- opposite wing cuts to the point and everyone else fills the open spots.
3. On a pass from wing to the corner we ball screen

The 2nd version is pass and screen away. On the screen there must be one player to the rim one away from the rim. We also screen the point on a pass from the wing to the corner instead of ball screen

This is what I got from the Jerry Petitgoue video. Other open post videos that I have seen and liked are Harry Perretta's No mistake 5 out motion, Bob Huggins Open post motion, and Andy Woods Open post video. I would also recommend the Bob Huggins book.
madmoves
January 26, 2008 07:41PM
Yeah i have jerry petitgoue and bob huggins vidoes. I run alot of continous screen and rolls. Staggered screens and a zone offense out of it. I run basically 7 different offenses with it. I enjoy running it im trying to put together a open break to it. basically I go 2 and 3 man go all the way to the corners the 5 man to left wing and the 4 right wing. 1 down the middle. WE start with a down screen. Then whatever my point guard does thats what offesene we are in. If we cut then we are in the cutting offense if he screens away we are in are off ball screen offense.

1.cutting
2.picking
3.ball screens
4.handoffs
5.staggered screens
6. same side screen the screener
7. Zone offense.

If you have any questions or info let me know
ck
May 02, 2008 03:09PM
Is Andy Woods video informative and worth the money? Does he show some counters to a sagging packline type defense? What about zone offense?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2008 12:34AM by ck.
Coach_L
May 08, 2008 01:17AM
Hi Coaches. I'm planning on running this offense next year with my Girl's Junior High Team. What I'm looking for is:

1. If you run it. What do you focus the most on. I really want them to learn fundamentals. What is the most important aspect to teach about the Open Post.

2. What break down drill do you use??

3. Does anyone know of a zone offense that can be ran out of a open post to start with??

I have done a lot of research on the open post. I Have Jerry P's, Andy Woods, Bob Huggins, Larson Perkins and Harry P dvd.

We will be really good next year, but I don't have a ton of height. I want the kids to learn basketball.

Also has anyone ran dribble drive with JH girls? If so how much sucess did you have. I have talent, but no height.

Thanks
Coach_L
CoachLeClaire
May 13, 2008 03:26AM
I run a club basketball team. We have 19 teams, 3rd grade to Varsity. 17 of our teams are boys teams, 2 girls. Some are very good (elite even), some pretty good, some not so good, some down right bad. That said, I have run this offense with all of our teams for years. I run it because I think no offense teaches kids to play like this. I am not going to park my 5'10" 6th grader in the post and find out in 3 years he grew early and now has no guard skills. Nope, I am going to teach all my players to play on the perimeter facing the rim while also teaching them all to post up. I am going to teach kids to cut hard, to read the Defense and react accordingly, to share the ball, to move the ball from side to side, to catch and score in traffic, the difference between a good and bad shot, basically to play basketball. This offense teaches all that.

Our 3rd graders learn to pass and cut through. Hard cuts are stressed as is catching the ball tough and looking in to see if your team mate is open cutting to the rim. Fill fast and empty out are terms they learn early. By the time they get to our older teams, they run basketcuts (pass and cut through), curl and or back cuts off screen aways, pick and rolls, pass and go behinds or inside handoffs (I call this, the backward pick and roll), dribble at to back cuts, dribble at to hand offs, dribble weave motion (similar to Memphis) as well as multiple entries. I can make it as simple or complcated as I like, based on the team. I can have total control calling basketcuts or curlcuts where in that is all they are doing. I can give my team control calling "Open" giving them the freedom to just play and try not to be repetitive. Curl cut one time, back cut the next, dirbble at to a back cut, dribble at to a hand off, pick and roll out of the corner, pick and fade for a 3, stager away for a shooter etc.

Anyway, they have talked about the right stuff in here. Huggins, Pettigoe, Wood, Perretta and Perkins all have taught this in book and video. I use a little of it all as well as my own wrinkles. When kids run it, boys or girls, young or old, with bigs or without, it works. And your kids will be able to handle whatever some other coach wants them to do because anything he or she is doing is in this. Good luck coach,

Coach LeClaire
EASTBAY BULLDOGS BASKETBALL
www.leaguelineup.com/ebbulldogs
anonsccoach
May 13, 2008 02:16PM
Saw a neat little quick hit out of this last weekend. While the ball is at the top, one of the baseline players cuts into the paint and slips up to make a ball-screen for the point guard. He then pops to the top while the point uses the screen to dribble toward the wing (he can drive to the basket if open). This gives the wing a great backdoor opportunity if the wing defender hedges to give early help on the drive. The team I was watching used this three times and hit the back door twice. The third time there was no hedge (because the hedge was trying to prevent the backdoor). The guard was able to drive straight to the basket for an easy lay.
Dakotaheel
September 10, 2008 06:45PM
I want to put this in this year because after this year I will lose all my size. I have no experience with it and very little coaching experience period. But I really like what I am hearing from you guys and would like to know what you think on putting it in.

I ordered the Pettigoe, Perretta, and Huggins videos. Is that a good start into what I might need to start implementing this? Any help would be great.
Coach Canada
October 21, 2008 06:17PM
How do you transition from defence into the open post?
Open Guy
July 03, 2009 04:22AM
Has anyone seen Gene Victor's 5-Man Passing Game Offense video?
Wayne Walters
July 03, 2009 04:57AM
Coach Canada,

Four Out to Five Out by going around the horn then either back screen the one in for the weak wing then trailer or give and go cut the trailer then in my version we set wing to corner screens.
This "transition" is included on my Five out DDV is you like me are a more of a visual learner.

Wayne Waters

PS. Open Guy, Where did Gene Victor coach?
Open Guy
July 04, 2009 04:24AM
Victor coached in california, something like PolyTech???? Had a video that used to be sold by Sysko's. His 5 out was very different from all others that I've seen. Just wondering if anyone else has seen it and what do they think of it.
rjr33
July 23, 2009 01:42AM
I have Gene's video. It's a unique twist on the open post. Basically, you have stagger double away from the ball and basket cut and back screeen any pass to the corner from the wing. A pass from the wing to the top will be a single screen for the corner man. I used it along with the traditional open post.
Coach Daye
July 23, 2009 12:26PM
Open Post options:

1- Motion.Have all 5 out the ball dictating movement. When you pass you cut or screen. Bottom players especially need to look to back cut when given a chance, and you need principles in place for how everyone reacts to cuts and dirbble drives to fill space.

2 - Top and Bottom. When the ball is up top have a top rule. Everytime you pass equals a ball screen or everytime youmove the ball its a dirbble hand off. When the ball goes to the bottom it equals a cut or double cut from the top.

3 - ISO Curl When the ball establishes a side (pass to wing) strong side bottom cuts hard out to other side. Weak side wing and bottom step in and become of stagger or double flare screen for exit cutter depending on how defense reads. This leaves an iso with the ball or a read on the exiting shooter. if nothing matrerializes have the exit cutter continue around the top where the pg acts as a 3rd curl screen where we read the cutter or slip. To the rim.

4 - Zone reads. Bottoms steps to extended short corner to occupy bottom outside defenders on the zone. Now we basket cut from the top (wing entry = basket cut) and see how they defend. Whichever player ends up responsible for the cutter at 4-10 feet from the rim gets posted or sealed. Weak side bottom then cuts hard around in front of the sealing or posting offensive player.
coachjackson5
July 25, 2009 12:05AM
Coach Dave,

Do you happen to have the actions listed above drawn up somewhere?

So, those are all pre-determined calls that you make from the bench, thus dictating the action of the offense?
Coach Daye
July 27, 2009 12:09AM
I don't have them specifically drawn up in any sort of file, but I probably could.

The ISO curl and top/bottom are both calls. We automatically are in motion unless we say otherwise, and the zone reads are just motion adjustments we make to zone reads.
coachjackson55
July 27, 2009 01:31AM
Well, I would love to see them if you ever have time to get them drawn up!
Coach Ash
July 31, 2009 10:45PM
Have you seen Andy Woods Video and what did you think?
rjr33
August 01, 2009 01:10AM
I have Coach Woods tapes. Probably the best I've seen on the Open Post. Definitely the most thorough.
coachj444
August 01, 2009 06:13PM
I'm looking for Wood Open Post and Control Tempo Offense - anyone willing to share a copy or send me diagrams?
rjr33
August 02, 2009 06:01PM
Coachj444,

I have them both. Email me at rjr33@hotmail.com
coachj444
August 02, 2009 08:12PM
Sent you an e-mail - thanks coach
August 15, 2009 07:14PM
Coach,

There will be a really good DVD and drills on the open post motion offense coming in January from coaches choice. The video in titled.

The structured open post motion offense for high school basketball

Drills for the structured open post motion offense for high school basketball.

These dvds are done very well and give a lot of insight and adjustments than the regular pass and cut, pass and screen away.
August 15, 2009 07:15PM
These dvd's are better than woods dvd from syskos. A lot more options and attention to detail.
Wayne Walters
August 18, 2009 03:19PM
Who is the author/coach on these DVD's? What is their coaching background? Please advise.
DarrelJanckila239
March 22, 2010 05:32PM
Coach Dave,

Do you have a Dvd of your team's game? Is this High school or college?

Thanks
Elmoeh13
January 03, 2017 03:50PM
Hey I'm interested in potentially buying Andy Wood's dvds off of you if you are interested in selling??
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 14 plus 4?
SSL Certificates Payment Processing
About Us | Security & Privacy | Shipping | Help | Contact Us | Site Map | Drake University Distance Learning | Gift Certificates | Request Catalog | Affiliates
1-800-873-2730 | [email protected]