View Cart View Cart  |  Wish List  |  Checkout

Coach Jay
Combining Read & React and Motion Offenses
September 10, 2008 09:46PM
I've been coaching youth and high school basketball for almost 20 years. This year I retired from coaching high school and I will be coaching my town's 7th grade boys travel team. I have always preferred coaching fundamentals and basic principles of smart team play. I focus on aggressive defensive and rebounding and fast break basketball, and in the half court I generally rely on motion offense principles with occasional elements of the Princeton offense (e.g., basket cut when teammate dribbles toward you) rather than set plays (though I use a favorite high post oriented continuity set for special situations or when the team seems to need some structure). I am intrigued by the read and react offense, and have researched it online but have not yet picked up the DVDs. I am starting to think about this coming season and am a little nervous about dramatically changing my half-court motion-based strategy, which I know so well and have coached successfully in the past and which I think provides a sound structure for teaching kids how to play the game the right way (triple threat, balance the court, move with a purpose when you don't have the ball, setting and using screens away from the ball, attack the basket, etc.) without being more familiar with the R&R offense. Based on my preliminary study of the R&R offense I am thinking about sticking with coaching general motion principles but also teaching the boys to follow the basic R&R rotation principles whenever a perimeter player drives to the basket. What do you think about this strategy of combining motion and R&R half-court offense for 7th grade boys? Thanks.
coachj444
Re: Combining Read & React and Motion Offenses
September 10, 2008 10:55PM
The read and react concepts will work very well in adapting to your basic motion. The circle motion and post movements taught on drives to the basket as well as the 3 pressure reliefs of the speed dribble/back cut, powerdribble/handoff and circle reverse can very easily fit into any sytem being taught. The R&R shys away from passing and screening away (as opposd to most motion offenses) because it's more north-south oriented focusing only on backscreens by the post players or by players who have cut to the basket.
Coach Jay
September 11, 2008 01:30PM
Thanks Coach. I am familiar with the R&R circle motion and post movements, but I don't know the 3 "pressure reliefs" you describe. Is it easy to explain those or do I need to get the DVDs? And, other coaches, I would like to hear about any experiences you may have either shifting from coaching motion to R&R or concerning your efforts to combine the two half-court offenses.
coachj444
September 11, 2008 05:19PM
Very simple... 1)speed dribble: if you can't move the ball with a pass and your teammate is overplayed, dribble hard directly at them to trigger a backdoor cut. 2)power dribble (crab dribble or controlled protected dribble): slightly turn your body away from the defender and power dribble toward your player. this triggers a vcut but your teamate and you execute a dribble handoff. 3)circle reverse: if a player gets stopped or flattened out on dribble penetration the perimeter player stops their circle movement and reverses back to the ball for a kickout (similiar to the memphis dribble drive offense) You really don't need the video for these 3
EricJ
September 11, 2008 07:57PM
I'm using circle movement and "the filling hole" as part of my rehearsed movement on dribble penetration in a 4-out 1-in set. There's a write-up on react and react at [coachesclipboard.ca]
Coach W
September 12, 2008 04:33PM
Combining them can absolutely work. You can simply add a layer of "screen away" or what ever it is you incorporate...
CoachLeClaire
September 19, 2008 01:44AM
The read and React is pretty pricey. Do you guys recommend it? Inquiring minds want to know,

Coach LeClaire
CoachAML
September 19, 2008 01:37PM
I personally don't think the Read & React is anything new / special. It looks like a bunch of concepts that have been around for a while, and just put together...
coachj444
September 19, 2008 04:07PM
Coach AML,
You are right in the sense that the conepts are not new. Coach Torbett admits that he has not reinvented the wheel but what he has done is reinvented the approach to teaching the fundamentals and putting them together to learn HOW TO PLAY basketball at the offensive end of the floor. Any basketball offense you run is essentially "a bunch of concepts that have been around for a while and just put together" - the thing that makes each of them different is HOW they are put together and used. I think the Read and React concepts will help you improve upon any offense that you run. As a program of study and a way to teach the game from the ground up (especially if you start it at a young age) this offense is great. As Torbett says, it's not AN offense, it's just OFFENSE.
Hammer
September 19, 2008 07:27PM
I run a 4 out offense, north south movement like the read and react. I purchased the DVDs and I highly recommend them. It has given me some structure that buying 4 or 5 other random DVDs on the 4 out would not. They all fit together and build upon one another, starting simple enough to install into your middle school program. They learn how to play and not run plays. I am going to implement it, my middle school program is terrible so hopefully this helps us. As with all other Torbett videos, it is very well thought out and thorough. I think he has the best DVDs you can find for the price. I just ordered his better shooting 2 video and it is great. 3 hours of material for $29.99. Not 50 minutes for $44.99.
Coach Jay
September 19, 2008 09:16PM
I plan to get the R&R dvds, but in the meantime can you summarize the north/south movement you refer to. Are you talking about focusing on dribble penetration from the perimeter, or does the north/south movement suggest a shift away from the other traditional screens used in the motion offense (e.g., point screens for weak-side wing after passing to strong-side wing, wing screens for point after passing to low post, post screens for opposite post after pass to wing, etc.). Does the R&R offense favor a 4 out set-up rather than a 3 out set-up in order to take fullest advantage of its emphasis on north/south movement? Thanks.
coachj444
September 20, 2008 03:34AM
The North-South movement refers to the drive to the basket and how the other four players should react to it. It's called circle movement on a north-south dribble drive (Layer one of the offense)

Because of the post movements, the 3-2 set is just as effective as the 4-out and 5-out set on dribble penetration.
Coach Mark
November 14, 2010 02:19PM
I coach a 6th grade girls basketball team and we run the basic 5 out/open post offense. How hard would it be to adapt aspects of the R&R offense to a 5 out set and do you think that 11-12 year old players can pick it up?
Coach B
November 15, 2010 01:02PM
I am a high school boy's Varsity coach. I have coached from middle school girls, AAU and both girls and boy's highs chool basketball.

R&R is not new. Torbitt tells you that as well. I have always taught motion type principles. I am not a fan of set plays, I want my players to learn "to play", not "plays" this was especially true coaching AAU.

The R&R is an easy way to start teaching these concepts if you have not done it before. Even if you have (as I had been) it breaks it down in to easy to teach bites. I recently did a clinic for a 9 & 10 year old girls program. We used the R&R principals to teach individual fundamentals. And by the end of the weekend... they had an offense as well as improved skills. I won a girls JV conference title a few years ago with the R&R as our only half court offense.

That is probably the BEST part of the R&Ror any motion type offense... they kids learn to play.

Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Coach Bill
CoachLeClaire
November 17, 2010 02:46AM
Great Thread. Since I last posted in it, I have purchased a lot of R & R Stuff. He actually just came out with a new version of it that is better, more concise. He eliminated Speed Dribble and now simply calls it "Dribble At". When Dribbled at, you back cut.

Going back to the original posted question, what you are talking about, combining R & R with Motion is exactly what I do. I run a large club team here in an area known as the Eastbay in the San Francisco Bay Area. We have 3rd grade to HS Varsity guys. About 150 kids in the club all together. Our goal for years has been to develop our own system to teach our kids how to play. In many ways, we have been doing what R & R talks about for 15 years. What I like about R & R is the concept of layers. For years, we told our kids it was like belts in Karate. As kids grow, they learn more layers.

Now I will tell you, I dont teach all of R & R. I think if you had a HS team that worked 6 days a week you could but it is up to 20 layers now and kids just arent going to get all that. So, what can you do? What is vital and what can be put aside for later? We run mainly open post motion with R & R concepts. Here is our own version of the layers we teach:

1) Basketcuts (pass and cut to the rim)
2) Curl Cuts (pass and screen away, recieve a screen, curl to the rim, set a screen, flash back to the ball)
3) Dribble @ Back Cut
4) Overplayed defensively (defender sets foot outside the 3 pt line), Back Cut
5) Circle Motion
6) Back Screens (When you cut, you have a chance to score. If you don't get the ball, you had your chance. Now backscreen your way out to the 3 pt line to give team mates a chance as well)
7) Zone Concepts (Play in the gaps, weak side flashes, dribble punches to draw 2 and look opposite, pin screens and skips)
8) Post Play (Post moves, post enter and cut by, AKA "The Laker Cut", post slides and finally, to back screen out of the post for the passer if you dont get the ball)
9) Go to the ball (we teach pass and go behind and the pick and roll)

So we have 9 layers. At the 3rd grade level, all we run is basketcuts. We may teach them to Back Screen and some simple zone stuff but that's it. As they get older, we build up hoepfully getting to layer 9. I honestly think, with these 9 layers, we can play against anything.

One last thing, I do love what Torbett says in the new R & R videos. He says, "remember, we arent teaching "an offense" here. We are teaching "Offense". Good luck coaches. Any questions, feel free to drop me a line at PGLeClaire@comcast.net or check out our website at www.LeagueLineup.com/EBBulldogs,

Coach LeClaire
Rod Tucker
November 07, 2011 05:26AM
I like the idea a lot. I am going to combine the driving principles of the read and react with a screen down screen away motion continuity offense. I think this will be good because it will not have players standing when the ball is driven. Natural pitch and post slides should work to both clear the lane and give good shot options off the drive. The continuity will also compliment the read and react by giving players something to do while the ball is not moving.
WAyne Walters
November 11, 2011 11:57PM
coaches,

"Anyone out there who is good with both?" Up front, I want to say that I do not fit the bill but I can share what I did to create a system with structure and many many motion like actions plus dribble options for pass and kick. It was the answer for me. I am not claiming that it will be the answer for you or others just one approach. A quick history, one my high school teams [five years] had a low basketball IQ , my college teams [10 years] were JC teams that needed to quickly blend players from different teams which were together if I was lucky for two seasons plus I recognized from the start that I was not knowledgeable in teaching Motion Offense. I could teach reading screens, simple reads and counters to denial plus I had always stressed ball movement. As recruiting improved, I had players able to drive and score or kick to high percentage stationary shooters.

I created a series of five or six simple continuity offenses that could be taught in about a practice. I used at most one or two a year. I gradually added a number of new entries that got players back to "Home base". In all the positions on the floor, I simply taught reaction to dribble right or left to drive or improve the post entry angle. I call these Push Pull Offense and it can be used with 3Out, 4 Out or 5 Out. I put it on dvd at the request of several coaches at a clinic three years ago at a clinic. We created an open block for driving and positioned players for short easy kick out.

It is called Push Pull because if the dribbler drives away from you he pulls you toward him and if he drives at you he pushes you to flatten out, step up or the ball pushes them through the formation. It forces opposing defenses to play through screens, defend cutters and post up with ball reverse then react to drive and kick.

An example would be from a Three Out Two in, on the wing pass from the point, step the ball side post to set a screen for the point to shuffle cut, leave the post at the elbow, leave the weak post on weak block, rotate weak side wing to the point, run the point off the screen and out the weak side ... drive from the wing behind the cutter and kick to the elbow ... on ball reversal or skip ... seal the low post after a three count repeat the action on the other side ... if teams force middle on the wing or by bench call choice, have the shuffle screener screen the wing driver to drive middle and roll the post to block/short corner.

PM if interested ....

Dr. D
Paula Parker
June 05, 2018 02:47AM
I like the Passing game by Dean Smith very much. It's a continuity offense in which you have one big on top & one big down low. They constantly screen each other and cut to the basket if the other one has the ball. Have had much success with it. Comes from the book Multiple offenses and defenses. run 3
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 6 plus 5?
SSL Certificates Payment Processing
About Us | Security & Privacy | Shipping | Help | Contact Us | Site Map | Drake University Distance Learning | Gift Certificates | Request Catalog | Affiliates
1-800-873-2730 | [email protected]