View Cart View Cart  |  Wish List  |  Checkout

VikingsBBall
Offense for two Bigs
October 09, 2008 07:20PM
Coaches,

I’m looking for an offense that will utilize two big men. Both are excellent post players, however, neither can really step-out and shoot the ball or put it on the floor. I’d love to find something that will keep the ball moving, utilize screens and keeps the two bigs active scoring threats inside.

Thanks for your help!
Wayne Walters
Re: Offense for two Bigs
October 09, 2008 09:08PM
Four Around One Box Circle ... Wayne Walters
JohnCarrier
October 10, 2008 12:25AM
I think you could run a 3 out 2 in motion offense where you are sometimes in a high/low look and sometimes your high post is on the backside elbow. When he is on the backside elbow he can be a second screener and can recieve a back/cross screen from the post on the low block. This is the kind of system I would go with. But that's just my opinion.

John Carrier
Coach T
October 10, 2008 05:21AM
I have two good bigs and run Bill Self's hi/lo. I have one who can't shoot outside but the other one can. Good offense for us. Maybe also the mover/blocker by Bennett. We ran that one year. He had some good options.
EricJ
October 10, 2008 08:44AM
If you have one big that you want to keep near the basket and not flash high, a Dennis Felton option in Bill Self's hi-lo is to have the other big cross-screen then come high.
Wayne Walters
October 10, 2008 10:01AM
If the ball comes to the side opposite the big that you want low another option is to have him back screen block to block then have the player on the ball side block " j" cut (inside curl) to the high post . Very effective whether they switch or fight through. I
have seen no one else use this.
minerscoach
October 10, 2008 01:31PM
On the block to block screen, many coaches will decide to switch that screen. As a read for the posts, if the defense switches, the screener reverse pivots, pins, and flashes right back to the ball side block. The post recieving the screen sets up his man by stepping low and then flashes to the high post. On the switch, the screener automatically has the defender on his back and will have deep low block position. My team runs the Bill Self High Low and with teams that like to switch we like to run this option.
VikingsBBall
October 14, 2008 02:57AM
Coaches,

Thanks for your comments. The reverse pivot and flash back is a nice option on the switch in the post. That’s something we’ve used a lot in the past. I like the idea of the “j” cut. Haven’t thought about back screening with a flash to the high post. Walters, you’re right, I haven’t seen anyone run this. We’ve cross-screened with the screening flashing high post a lot in the past. The j cut might be a nice twist and an easy adjustment.

I’ve been giving the Bill Self high/low a lot of consideration. In fact I have one of his videos coming.

Does anyone have any ideas for setting up little on big screening situations? I’ve been playing with the idea of having big 1 set a ball screen on top, wing clears and cross screens for big 2, while big 1 down screens for wing.
coachj444
October 14, 2008 03:17AM
Take a look at Florida's ball screen offense, also fun by Bill Self at Kansas. Duane Silver has a very good book Florida's High Low Motion Ball Screen Offense. You always have one of your bigs posted up, the other screening and rolling
EricJ
October 14, 2008 07:19AM
For some plays using a high ballscreen then triangle action, take a look at
a) a Florida special (Gator) in transition (http://www.hoopsplaybook.ca/fast_breaks/florida_2005.html), for a set-play entry option (Two) see the Florida pick and roll offence (http://www.hoopsplaybook.ca/offences/florida_pick_and_roll.html)
b) a UConn play Power (http://www.hoopsplaybook.ca/offences/uconn_3-out_2-in_motion.html)
c) a Dallas Mavericks quick hitter (http://www.hoopsplaybook.ca/quick_hitters/mavericks_little-big.html).
coachj444
October 14, 2008 03:52PM
One that I didn't think of that just came to mind is Biancardi's Wheel Offense - it has the same basic set up with your bigs on the blocks but it doesn't involve them running pick and roll. They can play rather stationary and look for action solely down low. This is better for a team with bigs who can't pick and pop for jump shots or aren't very skilled at running pick and roll.
Maarten
October 20, 2008 08:28AM
I like the Passing game by Dean Smith very much.
It's a continuity offense in which you have one big on top & one big down low.
They constantly screen each other and cut to the basket if the other one has the ball.

Have had much success with it. Comes from the book Multiple offenses and defenses.
Katherine Griffin
June 05, 2018 09:15AM
I like the idea a lot. I am going to combine the driving principles of the read and react with a screen down screen away motion continuity offense. I think this will be good because it will not have players standing when the ball is driven. Natural pitch and post slides should work to both clear the lane and give good shot options off the drive. The continuity will also compliment the read and react by giving players something to do while the ball is not moving. five nights at freddy's
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 21 plus 17?
SSL Certificates Payment Processing
About Us | Security & Privacy | Shipping | Help | Contact Us | Site Map | Drake University Distance Learning | Gift Certificates | Request Catalog | Affiliates
1-800-873-2730 | [email protected]