View Cart View Cart  |  Wish List  |  Checkout

Lenny gessner
lJerry Petitgoue Open Post Offense
October 30, 2008 10:15PM
I coach a boy's varsity team. Last year we tried to run a motion offense against man but struggled. I really like Petitgoues open post offense DVD and am planning to use this offense this year. Yesterday I was talking with an experienced retired coach in our area and was explaining the offense to him. When I was done he promptly replied "it won't work". When I asked him why he replied there's not enough screening, good teams will just shut you down. Now I'm nervous. For coaches who have used the offense, how do you think it works. And what do you think of the criticism it doesn' have enough screening. If you find it effective, what makes it effective? Thanks.
rjr33
Re: lJerry Petitgoue Open Post Offense
October 31, 2008 12:19AM
I have Jerry's tape on the open post and it's a very good tape. If you have talent, you will win games. I've seen very good teams run this and win without a lot of screening action. You can put screens into this offense. I used to run open post but have switched to the DDM. The base offense for DDM doesn't have a lot of old school screens either but I've implemented several sets and quick hitters into this offense that provide the screens. Talent wins games not offensive patterns or sets.
sfile
Jerry Petitgoue Open Post Offense
October 31, 2008 12:28AM
Coach,

I began running the Open Post offense last year. I have the Petitgoue video, Lason Perkins video, and Huggins book. I coach varsity girls h.s. basketball and I don't think i will ever run a different offense. If you can keep good spacing, reverse the ball, and have a couple kids that shoot well, the defense will have to stay honest against you. The Perkins video has some entries and a couple quick hitters that end in the Open Post. Good luck with the offense, it will work.
TheJayhawk
October 31, 2008 01:13AM
Can run th open post against a zone defense?
coachn
October 31, 2008 06:40PM
I run the open post and we were very succsessfull and didnt have a ton of talent.

I am not making a judgment about the coach with you spoke to, but I have spoken with coaches that sound like that and their idea of good motion offense is still 3 out 2 in pass and screen away. And nothing is ever accomplished with the perimeter players except that they change spots.

In reading your post I assume that you are concerned with ball reversal. I would tell you not to get nervous with not screening. If you are playing a team that denies I tell my kids this if you are on the wing and you make a good backcut that the defender guarding the player in the corner will have to help on the cutter allowing the player he is guarding to fill the vacant wing spot and recieve a reversal pass. If he doesnt help you will get a lay-up. If you are playing against a team that sags you will not have to worry about reversing the ball and the more times you reverse it the better shot you will get.

Like I said we ran it last year, and I have been working on slowing getting my other coaches in the program to make this the base offense because it promotes spacing, cutting and reading the defense.
JV Coach
November 19, 2008 04:03AM
I ran it against a 2-3 and 1-2-2. Simply tell your players to find the open seem in the zone when they cut through. If they run a 1-3-1 zone, put 2 men up top, two in the corner, one in short corner and run it with the same principle.
CoachC
January 31, 2009 12:01AM
How easy is this offense to teach?
coachn
February 02, 2009 05:48PM
It did not take us very long at all to get the continuity down, but it will take some time to get the kids understanding how to read the defense. If you are patient I believe that it will pay off.
Jason D.
February 03, 2009 05:50AM
I am a high school boys varsity basketball coach. We run 5-out read and react and we have the highest scoring team in the league. No one has been able to stop it - they always have to go to a zone. Even then we still run it against the zone sometimes. I don't mind because we have decent shooters.
CoachLeClaire
February 04, 2009 09:00PM
Are you running Better Basketball's Read and React or something of your own?
LadyBlackBearCoach
March 16, 2009 08:31PM
If anyone has a simple offense to implement for a small, quick, young high school girls' team, I'd appreciate suggestions, handouts, etc.

Email UltimateJB@hotmail.com

Thanks
Larry Dean Jackson
March 21, 2009 05:33AM
Has anyone seen Gene Victor's 5-Man Passing Game video?
Carol Phillips
June 06, 2018 09:59AM
With out a doubt the point zone. Go to virtualbasketballcoach.com and order his book over the point zone. It is good, Dean Smiths video is pretty good but you need a good foundation of knowledge over the defense to understand his video. kissmanga list
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 25 plus 8?
SSL Certificates Payment Processing
About Us | Security & Privacy | Shipping | Help | Contact Us | Site Map | Drake University Distance Learning | Gift Certificates | Request Catalog | Affiliates
1-800-873-2730 | [email protected]