View Cart View Cart  |  Wish List  |  Checkout

FlexOff
Walberg's System
November 07, 2008 06:45PM
I am no expert on Vance Walberg's system, but I have been studying it for a year and a half now. I want to say this, I see this is as all you need. In reality, if you do his Daily 45, a defensive segment, 5 on 0 (for the offense, your zone offense and ob's) and scrimmage for 15-20 minutes, your team will improve, no matter what the age level. Kids will dribble, shoot, fastbreak, rebound, and defend, while staying in one system.

I hear all the Read and React talk, and guest what, if Walberg sold his video to Better Basketball, he'd be all over the television, with Calipari, Kellogg, Martin, and an entire region of California raving about the system. That's what it is, a system. The offense is just a piece.

Walberg spent 2 weeks with the Nets this summer, helping Lawrence Frank implement the offense into their team. People are caught up in the offense, the system is more than just the offense, its a style of play, and the beauty of it is, you can taylor it to you. Memphis and UMass play that Pack/Elbow Block grind you out half court defense, but they play this offense.

When you talk to Walberg, and any of the coaches in Cali that run the offense, you'll find they all have their own way of teaching the offense, but the drill are the constant.

This is basketball's version of the Spread Option, but if you wanna maximize it, use the drills everyday.

In closing, consider this....your point guard makes all the decisions in your offense. In this offense, all 4 players must know all the reads, and be able to make plays. Only other offense I know like that, was started here in NJ down at some Ivy League school. That's how you develop players.
coachj444
Re: Walberg's System
November 07, 2008 07:10PM
Great post. Does UMass use Walberg's 221 press as well or they only play a pack-style man to man defense?
FlexOff
November 12, 2008 12:35AM
At the point I saw them in practice they weren't pressing yet. The Coach Kellogg felt they needed to be strong in the half-court, before stretching it. A thought process that Coach Walberg was completely in agreement with.
Fred Couples
November 14, 2008 12:12PM
Flex off,
Do you use the press off makes and misses? I am implementing both the offense and the defense. I understand the press and how to teach it off makes but the misses press is good but I'm a little afraid of it backfiring b/c your kids really need to understand what's going on.

With the offense, what are the calls you make to get into your offense. I'm having trouble getting my kids to know when to pass and just cut thru or when to pass and loop on top. I'm thinking of running alot of ball screens at the top so that my pt guards don't always have to break their man down to start the offense. Thanks.
FlexOff
November 15, 2008 02:12AM
Fred,
I don't use the press, even though I think its excellent. I use Bruce Pearl's 55 Press (1-2-1-1), and i'll tell you why. I spend atleast 30 minutes on half court defense in practice, and believe me I love to press as much as anybody. However, the 55 gives me what I want, 1 hard trap and a 4 on 3 situation, which is no problem as you know based on the Umbrella Zone, and the fact that, most of his drills are overload situations.

I did run his press last year, and it was great, but I spent more time on it then I wanted to, and to be honest, I struggled pressing on misses.

I did adopt the Chris Lowry's "Jam" tactic. Its just a method of running your closest guard up on the ball when they are in transition. It slows the ball down, and you could get a trap from there. I like it, and it works for me. I would call Coach Walberg though, because he would know.

Another good person to talk to are the coaches at Bakersfield Community College, they were really receptive to my questions. If you can contact Coach Chavez. If you go into that Sports Illustrated article and call the coaches out in Cali, someone will be able to help you. I spoken to 2 JC coaches and 2 high school, and they were all great.
coachj444
November 15, 2008 03:03AM
I don't like to press off missed shots with the exception of free throws. If we are a pressing team I will put in a 2-2-1 press on all free throws. The theory why coaches DON'T do this (at least from what I've heard) is that off a miss it's harder to get organized. What we do is line up on the free throw line according to positions in the press. So when WE shoot free throws, my 2 guards are actually on the bottom two positions for on the lane, my backline guys are in the top slots, and my center is back. Now we are automatically in the 2-2-1 even before a shot goes up.

I think against the BEST teams it's hard to press all game long and for ENTIRE possessions. I like the "one and done" theory unless it's late in the game and we absolutely need a steal. I like Gary Williams - 1-2-1-1 trap on makes. They play for one steal which allows them to go all out and deny everything. If any pass is made out of the trap, they drop back and set up their half court defense. He will use a 2-1-2 3/4 court with the same theory.

Another great pressing system is presented by Hubie Brown who used it very successfully. 1-2-1-1 on any made basket, 2-2-1 3/4 press on free throw situations, and 1-3-1 half court press on any dead ball side-out in the back court. On missed shots he was back in man to man or some sort of 2-3 zone.
Fred Couples
November 16, 2008 09:28PM
Flex off,
What I am going to do is implement the press after makes and see how well we pick up on that and then at X-mas evaluate whether we can or should use the press off misses. I'm not as deep as I'd like to be to do that. i got a hold of one coach in Simi Valley, California who has been very helpful. He implemnted everything Walberg does, went to pracitces, clinics. Very helpful with the press off missses and makes.
coachj444,
Thanks for the idea off FT misses that really sounds like a great idea. I can see how that works. Great idea.
CoachTwoods
November 19, 2008 11:12PM
felxoff
does walberg have a dvd... on this system?
I have the read & react...i think its ok, it teaches young players how to read off the ball... but i need something with more substance.
nate.landas
November 20, 2008 01:57PM
Coach,

Walberg does have an offense & defense DVD that can be seen at the links below:

[www.basketballcoach.com]
[www.basketballcoach.com]
Anonymous User
November 25, 2008 02:41AM
As I read more and more about the DDM offense I hear a lot about the post man when ballside should clean up what is actually meant by that
CoachMurdock
December 09, 2008 09:25PM
Flex Off
I am looking to implement the DDM is there any info you can send me, it seems to me like you have done your homework. josh.murdock@yahoo.com
EricJ
December 10, 2008 07:54AM
In Walberg's system, 4 is a rim runner then gets both feet below the left block at an angle where he can see the ball coming up. If 1 drives the lane on the right side, 4 gets in clean-up position, forward pivoting on his inside foot to face the basket and not let X3 get inside position. 4 would also clean up if he is ball-side on a middle drive from a wing. There is some info on DDM at hoopsplaybook.ca.
Coachp28
Vance Walberg Press versus Bruce Pearl Press
December 16, 2008 03:50PM
Coaches,

I have run the Dr. Tom Davis (Bruce Pearl and Gary Williams) 55 press with the offense with much success. It is built on a one hard trap and back principle.

Coach Walberg's press is more frenzy and hectic. It originated from Coach Wooden's old press if you want to be honest. Coach Walberg's press is unconvential in some aspects, but different isn't always bad.

I have talked with over 75 basketball coaches from the Sports Illustrated article and went to DDM clinics across the country. I have everything that is out on DDM and consider myself very knowledge about it. If I don't know the answer then I have several people that I can get you in touch with that will more than willing to help you out.

I have tons of basketball coaching information at www.mensbasketballhoopscoop.blogspot.com

I am in the christmas spirit and will be helping everyone while asking nothing in return. I wish you and your family a great merry christmas. Remember the reason for the season.

Coach Peterman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2008 04:07PM by Coachp28.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 18 plus 21?
SSL Certificates Payment Processing
About Us | Security & Privacy | Shipping | Help | Contact Us | Site Map | Drake University Distance Learning | Gift Certificates | Request Catalog | Affiliates
1-800-873-2730 | [email protected]