View Cart View Cart  |  Wish List  |  Checkout

rjr33
Read and React Offense
November 27, 2008 03:36PM
What college teams or NBA teams are running this offense?
TommyP
Re: Read and React Offense
April 27, 2009 07:49PM
I'd also LOVE to know this answer.
CoachAML
April 28, 2009 04:10PM
This is the same question I posed a few months back. After a bit of research, I wasn't able to find any college or NBA team running this offense. I also called the distributor and they were quick to say that Bill Self or Andy Landers don't utilize the offense with their teams. This is the most over-hyped series on the market.
CoachT
April 29, 2009 01:48PM
Who has seen the video? I listened to him this past weekend at a clinic. Everything he did was simply good offensive principles. If you drive, a guy should slide to the open area and someone follow from behind. We teach that. If you pass, cut. Pretty basic and simple. If you throw to the post, cut over or under the post. Pretty sound basketball. One thing I didn't like was the fact that there are no ball screens. IMO the touhgest thing to defend in the game. Why not utilize it?

However, I think if you are starting out teaching the game to young kids, ie jr. high or younger, it would be great. Teaches alot of good basketball fundamentals offensively.
TommyP
April 29, 2009 02:24PM
I haven't watched the video but have heard more good than bad pertaining to the series. (cost has been a negative)

I thought ball screens were incorporated later in the progression?

I emailed one of the people in the "testimonials" and asked if they still endorsed the offense. His reply was, "I helped create it."
CoachT
April 29, 2009 03:56PM
Maybe ball screens are incorporated later. He never got to them in the clinic. That's the only time I have listened to him.
TommyP
April 29, 2009 04:34PM
The testimonial from the high school coach that lost in the Va. AA state championship is pretty good.

I looked them up and he had nothing but freshmen and sophomores on the team.
GirlsBBallCoachinMO
April 30, 2009 01:33AM
CoachT

Did you see him in St Louis? I wanted to go, just not sure if the clinic would be worth the cost. My niece coaches in TN and is an asst, they use it, and she likes Read and React.

Email me at bobwrick73@yahoo.com

I would like to discuss what you saw.
Coach AJJohnson
July 11, 2009 06:10AM
I have started using this offense, and while the types of ideas used are basic basketball knowledge, some of these things are not taught today as a whole. I really like how this offensive system uses a lot of basic playground kowledge and slams it all together into an offense with continuity, that is also very simple to teach. This system has been a definite plus as a new head coach, with no assistants.
Coach AJJohnson
July 11, 2009 06:11AM
I believe Monmouth University Men run this system.
WyoCoach
November 20, 2009 04:59PM
Every college and NBA team runs components of this system. It's not an offense per se. It's learning how to move and react to what the defense and person with the ball are doing.
antbrant
November 24, 2009 04:52PM
I've talked to Emmanuel Colleges head coach. He runs the full system and has had a lot of success with it at his level (NCCAA). He's very informative and if you have a brief question, I suggest you try him...
Kerry McConnell
March 22, 2010 05:33PM
University of Iowa Women run this offense and they play Stanford tonight in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. They are an 8 seed.
Thom
May 19, 2010 08:24PM
Stanford 96 - Iowa 67, just a FYI.

The read and react offense is at the grassroots level of basketball. I called all of the college coaches that are in the read and react video, for example Bill Self, and they do not use the offense, they just talk about the principles of the offense. If you have any questions please call me at 800.873.2730.

Thom McDonald
Basketball Coaching Director
Championship Productions, Inc.
BasketballCoach.com
thom.mcdonald@championshipproductions.com
sparty2124
July 14, 2010 06:41PM
So... Since U of Michigan men's team went 15-17 and didn't make the NCAA Tournament should we all stop running the Princeton Offense?
Tim Peterson
September 08, 2011 04:48PM
I have only been a basketball coach for three years,Ive prev coached basball for 9 years in that. we tought basic fundementals and team play,and we won several championships. The same goes with b-ball that what I love about the R&R offense in 3 years of running it we have been to the State champion game 3 times took 2nd the 1st 2 years and finally won it last year. College and Nba teams wont run it because of to much pride in thier coaching staff, its kinda like saying dont tell me how to raise my kids,Coach Wooden coaching style would of loved this R&R offence,because it is all about team play.Because there is no I in team.
I love R&R and will continue to use it and endorse it.
Head coach mens B-ball FFHS Kalispell Mt.
Coachp28
Read and React Offense Diagrams Available for Trade
September 08, 2011 05:26PM
Coaches,

I have just gotten a ton of Read and React Offense Diagrams and power points on this offense from fellow high school coaches.

I am willing to trade basketball clinic notes with you if you have stuff to trade.

Check us out at: [www.mensbasketballhoopscoop.com]

Email me at: mensbasketballhoopscoop@gmail.com

Coach Peterman
Coach G Johnson
October 20, 2011 01:50PM
University of Iowa Women run this. I know you are probably thinking....that is women but go to Youtube and take a look. Two years ago I believe their coach was Coach of the Year in the conference. They didn't do as well last year but advanced pretty far the two years before. I believe they put it in 3 years ago?

I love it. It is a great offense or base so players can learn how to move and play together. All I can say is that I have been coaching 20 years at the JC level and I wish I had put this in a long time ago. My players pass and move the ball better than any team I have had and they are not the most talented team I have had. I have always taught off-ball movement and many of the principles the R&R teaches. I just dedicated myself to the drill work and it pays off. Good luck.

Good luck.
CoachLeClaire
November 17, 2011 07:50PM
I have done a lot of research into this offense. You guys have it right. It is simply teaching great offensive principles. That said, the reason he doesnt teach the ball screen or as we like to use, the screen away, is that that forces a read to realy do it right. You have to read how the defense plays you and react accordingly. The concept behind read and react is there is only one reaction. You pass, you cut hard. You drive above the post, the post slides to the short corner. Drive below the post, the post slides to the elbow. How can you do that with a ball screen when the defense might blitz it, might switch, might fight over / hedge and recover or might go under. For each of those situations, the offense has to react differently and that goes against what read and react teaches.

Now, he does say, feel free to add it yourself. This is an offense you can use all of or parts of. We use a lot of read and react principles but we love to pass and screen away and we teach, as Bob Huggins calls it, pass and go to the ball.

Personally, I run open post motion and use a lot of R & R principles. It is a great add on for any offense,

Coach LeClaire
EASTBAY BULLDOGS BASKETBALL
www.LeagueLineup.com/EBBulldogs
Coach W
November 20, 2011 10:08PM
Has any1 ever Run the R&R offense but did a reverse circle movement similiar to Dribble Drive??... where the other players come behind the drive instead of going in same direction?
JL1967
November 24, 2011 09:40AM
Coach L

The Circle Reverse is in the R&R offense.
Coach B
January 01, 2012 10:29PM
The ball screen in used in the read and react, albeit sparingly. if the player retreat dribbles this is a signal for a ball screen. In addition, Rick Torbett the guy behind the RandR, is only against the ball screen because it brings a defender towards the ball which is the exact opposite objective of the offensive movement. He does use lots of off ball screens and he would agree to call out a quick hitter incorporating a ball screen if it fit the strength of your team. The dribble handoff acts like a ball screen, especially if you work on slipping the screen. I know one college coach and one high school coach that tried this offense and gave up on it too quickly. It takes patience and trust to teach this offense.
Courtney22
November 21, 2012 01:10PM
There actually are ball screens. Guess you never researched the whole thing.
alan reid
March 26, 2013 11:08AM
I have a lot of Rick Torbetts dvds. The Read & React,and the Emmanuel College Coach RGB style of the Read and React help coaches better communictae to players the whys, and the principles behind any effective offense. Players run offenses, offenses should not run players. You can't go wrong, in my humble opinion, checking out the Read and React.
Wayne Walters
March 27, 2013 09:36AM
[www.coachesclipboard.net]

www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Bsuvkaqak

www.youtube.com/watch?v=whTfWGzJvHU

[www.youtube.com]

www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7JA0x2O_cU

[www.youtube.com]
Gavin
April 17, 2013 03:15AM
I've been running RnR at the grassroots level with varying levels of success. I feel it still depends very heavily on the overall skill level of your team (though you could say that about every offense).

My problem has been that, if a team is not overly skilled or new to the game, the players will be overwhelmed with the number of decisions that have to be made at game pace. I've tried installing a hierarchy of reads:

Ie. After receiving the ball you should...
1) Look to pass to cutter, then
2) Look to dribble penetrate, then
3) Pass east-west and cut

Which has worked in the latter parts of a season (once the kids have gotten used to the habits).

What I'm considering doing is running a series of quick-hitters that are based on RnR principles, in order to cut down on the number of reads and decisions that a player has to make. Eventually phasing out the plays altogether and letting the players just play according to those rules.
David Patterson
April 08, 2015 11:07PM
I ran the read and react offense at Principia College when I was head coach from 2008-11. My first year I ran a motion offense. My second and third year was read and react. We went from the lowest scoring team in the SLIAC to one of the top scoring teams. We were 9th in 3 point shooting in the nation for DIII and 30th in assists. I believe our scoring production improved by about 15 points a game with this offense. Principia went from being an easy win for opponents to a playoff contender in the conference. If we only played better defense. That was going to be the next season.
liyifeng520
August 25, 2017 03:59AM
<P>Connecting to wedding dress Drake around bridesmaid dresses point in time wedding dress to gain both hours evening gowns of the lace wedding dress expensive vacation event, Mary j identified us all of outfitgoals purple wedding dress we could have ahead purple wedding dress of expected. We believe we plus size wedding dress saw blue wedding dress the leg high lace wedding dress galoshes generally if the 28 yr old red dress Bajan songstress let go your girlfriend's effort because of Manolo
chanyuan
chanyuan
June 06, 2018 08:41AM
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 19 plus 25?
SSL Certificates Payment Processing
About Us | Security & Privacy | Shipping | Help | Contact Us | Site Map | Drake University Distance Learning | Gift Certificates | Request Catalog | Affiliates
1-800-873-2730 | [email protected]