View Cart View Cart  |  Wish List  |  Checkout

barnes
Re: Dribble Drive Offense a Fad?
October 07, 2009 06:05PM
I didn't realize you guys were so sensative about DDM offense. what was meant by purist is the bobby knight and dean smith's of the world. they along with others preach screening, cutting, ball movement without dribbling the air out of it. It was only one view point nothing personal. DDM coaches go ahead ,doesn't mean we all have to like it or run it.
Coach Daye
October 07, 2009 10:00PM
I think that ddm is a great tool for showcasing talent, and developing individual skills with the ball. College, Elite Level High School/Prep/Club I think it is great because it allows your most skilled aggressive talent to be your most skilled aggressive talent.

I think where it falls down is at youth or developmental levels where it rewards raw aggression/athleticism without accounting for the following:

1 - Kids need to learn to screen, cut read non dribble drive movement either to defend it and/be able to play that way at different times or levels.

2- Finding room for the kids who love to play and hustle that everyone loves to coach but are lousy skilled wise. They now can't be screeners or non shooter offensively without severally limiting the reads.

3 - Lets less physical/athletic kids do anything offensively despite be spot up shooters and/posts.
The M.O.
October 08, 2009 12:02PM
To barnes:
You do not have to "dribble the air out of the ball: to run the DDM. Overdribbling is ineffective as overpassing is. Staple anti DDM rhetoric speaks of overdribble. This is true IF a player does not know what he or she is doing. Just maintain aggressivess, keep the floor spread and attack the defense. Simplest way to do that is with the dribble. A on ball pick could suffice but depending on spacing setting up a PNR(staple of NBA basketball as it should be) oftens takes several seconds where in a face up iso a player can just take his defender and go. Screen Aways, while can be effective in placing the ball in the right players in catch and play situations and possibly lead to mismatches depending on situational personnel often take longer to read, can lead to cluttered spacing(especially power, motion and passing game sets), and . Do not have to over dribble to do that IF your players were taught properly how to break defenders down and make the proper reads from the defense. Control space and angles. Playing at different speeds. A average player can improve considerably within himself or herself IF they are taught soundly. Even Bobby Knight allowed his players freedom when they played. Brian McCormick stated it best about the "myth" of "special" abilities. Any cognitive basketball ability can be improved considerably within an individual WITH the proper technical, physical and psychological training. Frankly, with the myriad of options a player has facing and posting up no one should be able to be shut down or contained 1 on 1 especially at the grassroots level but then again that is just my opinion. Besides the majority of players at the grassroot level are not sound defensively in isolation situations.

Conerning Sensitivity: Defending the DDM is not even really about sensitivity. Just the backlash this simple system has gotten over the last few years that is frankly rooted in typical human traditionalism and perspective viewpoint is troubling and frankly unnecessary. Does everyone have to like it? No. Does it deserve bashing due to either personnel lack or coaching incompetence? No. I like the system for multiple reasons but it is not the cure all end all system. No system is. Players win games above all and players have to be developed which is a staple of the system. No amount of system limitation will compensate for natural talent and refined skill. Proven fact. To quote Bobby Knight "Basketball is a game that is overcoached and undertaught." That is ever so true.

To coach Daye
You are correct in some respects but they are all circumstancial and correctable. Like I said I have seen kids from many different programs in high school and AAU from all over the nation working with MaxxAthlete. Seen 5 star high major future pros to struggling players that just want to play.

1 - "Kids need to learn to screen, cut read non dribble drive movement either to defend it and/be able to play that way at different times or levels."

Yes this is true but You can also still apply those defensive principles through drills in practice without actually running a screening offense.

2- Finding room for the kids who love to play and hustle that everyone loves to coach but are lousy skilled wise. They now can't be screeners or non shooter offensively without severally limiting the reads.

Not necessarily. They could still be used in the dump off positions, or as cutters adaptable International Dribble Drive system than the Walberg 4-1. A modified version with reactionary cutting(particularly denied or contained penetration relative to a teammate) is another example.

3 - Lets less physical/athletic kids do anything offensively despite be spot up shooters and/posts.

The athleticism perception is not completely correct. Using the 08 Memphis Tigers as an example is an overraggeration. Ball Skills and vision are more important traits. Rose and Douglas-Roberts were the primary ball handlers on the team with several high calibur athletes but limited skill wise. The system was not as effective without at least 1 of them off the floor. Walberg talked about this with the 09 Memphis Tigers that the players did not have the skill sets neccessary to run the system. Team of athletes but no subpar skill sets except for Tyreke. Until he became the point guard the offense was stagnant. His shot creating ability along with their stifling defense turned them around. They are many kids that can jump and not shoot or dribble worth anything. You still have to be able to technically execute moves in multiple stages with multiple reads to break defenders down. It is a skill that can be learned just like any other. This is the biggest misconception. It is not innate or just natural. True some people have more natural reactive abilities but a player can improve if they put in the time on the court which should be done for any system.
Chad Eppley
November 19, 2009 06:21PM
SOOOO TRUE!!! I agree completely. The DDM takes away so many parts of the game of basketball. It limits a team to a few offensive opportunities when there are innumerable possibilities if you run a traditional offense that uses everyone, posts and guards equally.
coach c-w
January 03, 2010 02:59PM
I agree with your philosophy. Were can I find the various drills you are talking about?
coachbrea
January 08, 2010 09:28PM
The DDM is a good offense if you tool it for your players. Most people look at it as an all or nothing offense (meaning drive and score/kick and that is it).

We run a version of it and it has worked well for us. We use the penetration and kick, as well as the pass and basket cut, pass and screen away, pass and ball screen.

DDM is a form of motion offense. Teaching players how to read the defense, react, counter, and attack. If you are a good teacher of the game, you can adapt any style of offense to fit your team.

I personally think motion offense is the only way to play. Just understand that there are tons of different forms, but the basics need to stay the same; 1. Spacing, 2. Ball movement, 3. Never pass and stand. After that, it is your personal preference on what you do.

You can turn Flex into a read and react motion offense. You can turn basic 3-Out 2-In Hi-Lo into a read and react offense. You can turn the Swing offense into a read and react offense. No offense works against great defense...only countering with understanding the game of basketball.

Basketball has so many facets. Take what works and develop it to suit your needs. Fad or not, the DDM is just an evolution of basketball. Parts are great, parts are not so great...but the fact remains that you must teach players how to play basketball. No set offense works the way you practice it, unless you are playing a cupcake.
Coachdribbledrive
June 22, 2010 11:17AM
This discussion is extremely interesting, and deserves to be put back on the front page!
anonsccoach
July 02, 2010 02:55AM
I do not run the DDM. I think that it is a good offense, but I just don't prefer some of the things about it. I think that the thing with it is that it was such a "mystery offense" back a few years ago when Memphis was having such success and Wahlberg refused to release any information on it. I think that this got everyone sparked on a level of interest since it was something new that was cutting edge and broke the mold of the offenses that everyone had been running for years. Even though many coaches learned it was just a hyped version of the 4out looks that they had been using all along.

After the big fuss, many of the coaches that jumped on the train got discouraged because they were expecting a quick fix to everything. I think alot of this is because they just didn't put the time in to the offense that ws needed to get their players using it. I work with another coach that went through this with the DDM and his team. I think that he thought it was going to be a quick fix, and he ended up jumping ship after a month of it.

I AM a pure motion coach. I just use a different kind of motion set. I feel it is true that it is truly the best way to coach offense because you want your players to develop instinct to react to the defense, and that is what motion offense accomplishes. The thing with motion offense, and any coach that uses a motion offense will tell you, is that it takes time. Your players are going to do things wrong, and it will look bad at times in the initial phases. After your players become comfortable with the reads, and they get used to running it together, it will work. To achieve this, any motion coach must make an extensive effort to use breakdown drills for what they run. I spend time teaching the offense in 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and 5v5 drills. As far as teaching players how to play, that is all part of it. We do not do a lot of dribbling, but my players know that any dribbling should be done to attack the basket. That is one of the concepts of the DDM that I think is good. Dribble with a purpose!
coachwillie
July 05, 2010 03:29AM
I am not a motion coach at all. I was a continuity, set play guy my first two years with my own team. Last year we started running AASAA in the summer, but we got away from it because we didn't have the time to devote to the drills to run it successfully. We put it back in at the start of the season and ran it for about 80% of the year last year. We put in a continuity because we were so bad(read inexperienced), 0-21 playing a ton(7 sophs) of underclassmen.
My kids loved playing it, so I made them a deal that if they worked on their games in the spring and had a good summer, we would continue with the offense. I have seen vast improvement in my kids and they are absolutely excited about getting into the gym to get better so they can keep running the offense.
I understand it isn't a quick fix system, but it has helped me start to develop some players and get kids excited about playing ball. We will be better next year, but I really think, I will see a huge jump in two years, because I will have kids who know the ins and outs of the O, and what it takes in the offseason to make it successful.

P.S. I posted last year, and I was negative about the system too, until I tried it and saw what it could do.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 2 plus 15?
SSL Certificates Payment Processing
About Us | Security & Privacy | Shipping | Help | Contact Us | Site Map | Drake University Distance Learning | Gift Certificates | Request Catalog | Affiliates
1-800-873-2730 | [email protected]