View Cart View Cart  |  Wish List  |  Checkout

TripleThreatBBallOC
Youth Coaching - Tips to build Spacing & Fundamentals Quickly
November 21, 2016 09:06PM
Hello All,
I run a small youth basketball club. We typically get kids who "desire" to get better but are usually not the most athletic or skilled, so we need to build them from scratch. I've found the most difficult thing to teach new kids is spacing and basketball IQ. We live in a pretty affluent area so these kids do not play much on their own so it's slow going.

My approach has always been to use a continuity offense which gives them basic movements but challenges them to find scoring opportunities on their own. I believe it makes them better basketball players even though it might not be the best solution to racking up wins.

Unfortunately I'm finding that approach only works with kids who have at least some level of basketball IQ. For many of our kids these days they are so raw that this approach just leads to failure and the boys lose their confidence. So my question is this..

I'm considering moving more toward the "high school" model which uses set plays heavily. But before I do, I'd like to ask other coaches experience. What have you found is the best way to take a very inexperienced team and give them the best chance to be successful... using a playbook? continuity? other???

thanks
Check out this Workbook on Amazon.

"Basketball Brainz Mental Training Workbook: How to Use Sports Psychology to Succeed on the Basketball Court"

Will definitely help Boost your teams Performance and Understand the Mental Aspects of Basketball

Basketball Mental Training
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 23 plus 11?
SSL Certificates Payment Processing
About Us | Security & Privacy | Shipping | Help | Contact Us | Site Map | Drake University Distance Learning | Gift Certificates | Request Catalog | Affiliates
1-800-873-2730 | [email protected]