View Cart View Cart  |  Wish List  |  Checkout

rjr33
Read and React Offense
July 03, 2008 07:05PM
Can anybody tell me about Rick Torbett's Read and React offense?
jamming23
Re: Read and React Offense
July 30, 2008 09:51PM
Has anybody seen this dvd set? I think the individual dvd in his set are great.
CoachLeClaire
August 05, 2008 06:44AM
All I know is it is $170 so it better be good.
coachj444
August 05, 2008 07:13PM
It is expensive but I believe it was the best investment I ever made. I'm usually the sucker that buys anything that looks like it might be good and usually am disappointed. Torbett's stuff is unique and original in the way the offense is presented and taught. There's nothing new as far as fundamentals but this is an all-encompassing offense that has elements of anything you could think of running. It's not motion offense and it's not patterned continuity but a mix of both and something completely new. I believe betterbasketball could have and should have packaged Disc 2 and Disc 3 and combined Disc 1&4 and sold the thing as a 3 disc set for @#$%& and people wouldn't be so hesitant to shell out the high price. The last 2 discs are just interviews with coaches who have used the offense and others who don't but just talk about it. If you have any specific questions please ask because I start going into detail now I'll never stop!
Coach_L
August 05, 2008 09:52PM
coachj444,

So is it similar to open post motion offense. There are rules (like jerry Petitigoue open post) depending on the spot you're in. How is it setup? 1-2-2, 3-2, open post, 1-4 etc...?

Thanks
Coach L
coachj444
August 05, 2008 10:56PM
It can be run 5 out, 4 out 1 in or 3 out 2 in. The offense is based on principles which are dealt with in "layers" 1 at a time. So the answer is yes and no to your question on it being similar.

The beauty of the offense is the "2 player reads and reactions" - Everything in the offense is based on what the player with the ball does. This eliminates the confusion of true motion offenses where anyone can do anything based on how they're played and how their teammates are moving.... If the ball handler dribbles towards the basket, teh other 4 playes react in what is called "circle movement" If the ball is passed, the player cuts and everyone fills. If the ball is dribbled at you, there is another movement etc etc. The best part is that the kids only have to learn ONE SINGLE HABIT for every action of the ball. This results in true "team play." All players have to be concerned about is what the ballhandler is doing.

Think about the way you teach defense. You start by teaching the on ball fundamentals. That is similar to teaching your offensive player triple threat moves. Now with defense, you had help and recover on a drive, and you teach all 5 players moving and reacting based on where the ball is passed or dribble. It's the same w/this brilliant offense. The way it's put together is just so clear and easy to learn and teach. You use every single fundamental that is normally taught in any other offense but it's packaged and put together in a way that really makes sense. And its absolutely adaptable to anything you want to do. Torbett doesn't focus on passing and screening away because this would result in a player having to read not only the movement of the ball but the movement of other players. As your team gets good though you could add it - but I don't feel it's necessary. Screens come into this offense more as backscreens after someone has cut or pinscreen/flarescreen action.

I promise you will really rethink what you do and how you've done things for a very long time. But the funniest part about it that I tell everyone is that when you're done watching the video I guarantee you'll say to yourself "well yeah, we teach this stuff all the time and it's nothing new" - it's true that the peices of the offense and the fundamentals taught are not new (everyone teachings proper passing, cutting, dribbling etc...) but the uniqueness comes, as I've said before, as to how the offense works as a WHOLE.
5j's
August 07, 2008 07:56PM
Coachj444,

Are the drills "effective" and are you saying you can absolutely run this against any type of defense. If so, I am all over this!!! It sounds intriguing to me!!!! I am like you in the aspect that I usually purchase a video that may not be worth the money. I just want this to be worth it because it is very expensive!!!! Thank you for your comments!!!
coachj444
August 07, 2008 08:10PM
It can be run against ANY defense. The whole thing is based on principles - this offense doesn't care what defense it's facing. Changing the alignment from 5 out to 4 out 1 in to 3 out 2 in are really the only adjustments you can make depending on the shape of the defense and the strenghts of your team.

Think about it....all defenses are zone on the weakside whether they're in man to man or zone or matchup. Every defense has a player on the ball whether zone or man. One of the "layers" of teaching the offense is the zone attack and it gives some slight changes/alterations to think about when running against a zone (example...after passing, instead of cutting real hard directly to the rim the adjustment would be to cut and slide into a gap in the zone and float around for a second looking for the opening) Short of those small changes it won't matter what defense you're facing.

The drills teach the reads/reactions over and over again. The key is just doing them enough wehre they become habit. They're very simple such playing 2 vs 1 attacking teh defender and throwing the pitch out for a shot. Each Layer of teh offense has 2, 3 and4 player drills to work on each aspect.

Of the 40+ videos I have and the countless number of books, for now this Read and React offense is what I'll be sticking with. It will take patience because habits aren't formed over night. The thing about true "motion" offense is that it's hard to teach and hard to learn because there are SO MANY options a player has based on EVERYTHING that's going on. This offense I believe will speed up the learning curve while still teaching the game because you only have one read and one reaction.

If you buy it choose the priority shipping for $5.00 more and it will arrive in 2 days. Much quicker than the two weeks for the basic. Let me know when/if you get it and what you think

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2008 08:11PM by coachj444.
5j's
August 14, 2008 01:26AM
coachj444,

I have ordered the read and react offense. I am anxious to absorb as much of this as I can before we start back to school August 25th. We are going to start on the offense at the beginning of school and see where it gets us by November when our season begins. I will keep in touch through this website and let you know how we are doing. thanks for your comments on the offense. Good luck to you!!!!!
coachgj
August 17, 2008 05:01PM
coachj444,

would you please email me at my personal account of coachgj@yahoo.com so that I can get some more of your thoughts on the Read and React offense.

Thanks

Gabe
rjr33
August 17, 2008 08:04PM
I enjoyed watching the videos and learning about other ways of playing basketball. To me though, this was just simplifying motion offense and having organized dribble penetration. On one hand, I think it's brilliant.I think that it would take a lot of time to implement. Despite Coach Torbett's claim that you don't have to have a high basketball IQ to run this, I would say the higher the level the higher your bb IQ must be to run it. For instance in one of the higher levels he talks about implementing stagger screens out of accident. The kids just sort of figure it out. Well, I don't have the patience for the kids to figure it out. This offense is brilliant. I just see it as motion offense with a lot of variables. I like pre-determined movement. I think it gives the players a sense of security on the floor. But, the higher the level, the more variables their are in the offense. If you're an old school motion offense coach, you'll love these tapes because I think it will make life coaching motion a lot simpler. I don't agree with the notion that the R&R includes the Dribble Drive offense. Their are similiar concepts but it's NOT the Vance Walberg DDM. Again, I'm not knocking this offense. I just prefer something different.
Coach_L
August 22, 2008 12:46AM
I just wanted to say I got this dvd set in the mail yesterday and I would agree that it is very good!
I run open post and some (all) of the ideas will work perfect on this dvd. Many of the rules or spot kids need to goto are the same in Jerry P, bob Huggins, Andy Wood, etc....... Again this is for open post. The ideas should work for all kids of sets.
The great thing is that the ideas will work if you ran 4 out, 3 out, or something else. There are rules, and teaches kids to play. He demonstrates everything at the beginning with 5 out and for me really show me how it can fit into my offense.
bird_4_3
August 22, 2008 12:28PM
I just go the information the other day and I enjoyed it also. I think that it is much easier than the DDM, you are giving kids one reaction to make and that is not true in the DDM. I am bias because I tried the DDM last year and felt that teams just sagged off of us to much and we shot to many 3s. Mainly my fault, but we went back to 5 man motion and the R&R fits it better. The thing I like about it is that in this offense you are not SO reliant of kids having to get to the rack, you actually have screens.
The other thing about this is you could run the shuffle offense and use his spacing rules, that is what my jr high will do.
coachj444
August 22, 2008 02:40PM
What type of shuffle offense do you run?
bird_4_3
August 22, 2008 03:54PM
I have it on paper but have to find it, shoot me an email and I will try and get it to you. I like it.
allen_woods4372@yahoo.com
Kaje
August 27, 2008 08:24PM
Anybody have an idea of what a first year implimentation schedule would look like for a Varsity program? i.e. 5 Days for Levels 1&2 at 20 minutes a day, 1 week for Level 3, etc.

Having not tought a R&R style offense, I don't have a concept of how quickly the players will grasp it.
5j's
August 28, 2008 02:27AM
I am going to implement this offense for sure!! I love it because you have the DDM and you have the backdoor cuts which I absolutely love. I do have a question: When you set the back screen is this a "CALL" you make or is it formed through constant repetition.
coachj444
August 28, 2008 03:29AM
There are NO calls which make it absolutely beautiful. The backscreen is introduced in layer 8. After the players get down the basics of cutting and filling an open spot after making a pass, layer 8 gives them the option of setting a backscreen after cutting. Instead of filling an open spot, screen your way out of the middle.

If you have any other questions I'd love to help.
5j's
August 28, 2008 06:27PM
coachj444,

so you are saying through repetition and communication that you will be able to run the backscreens and other layers. I agree, the beauty of this offense is not having to set up if one player does not read properly. I am sold!! Thanks for the help!! How long do you spend on each layer?? I coach HS boys(skilled).
coachj444
August 28, 2008 08:34PM
Yes, communication and repetition will take care of backscreens and everything else including the double/triple stagger screens.

I am a high school girls coach and will be implementing the system for the first time this season with the school team. I have, however, used the first level (layers 1-5) as well as some concepts of other layers mixed in with my aau teams. The basics (pass/cut, circle movement, post reactions) can be put in a fairly short amount of time. I was guilty of moving a little faster than I should have because we only had two practices per week. With two practices per week we pretty much put in the introductor layers 1 new each week. Two practices for pass/cut, two for dribble penetration etc.... They weren't perfect but over time things came together.

Having said that, once you get to the higher levels of the offense (stagger screens, circle reverse, pin/skip etc) they will take more time to teach effectively. But the first 5 or so layers is enough for a complete offense itself.

We really emphasized defense and pressed a lot so it didnt' matter that we weren't perfect right away on offense. If I had to do it all over again I might have taken it a bit slower.

Go to the X's and O's forum at coachingbball.proboards106.com - there is a post from someone selling the set brand new for only $75.

After watching the dvd, as I have said before in other posts, you're going to say to yourself "wow, this stuff is basic and I teach this already" - there is nothing new as far as individual fundamentals and principles here but the beauty of it is the way you teach it and the way the layers work together. It really is revolutionary in my opinion
5j's
August 29, 2008 11:49PM
Coachj444,

are you going to run the read and react exclusively or will you incorporate some qucick hitters???
coachj444
August 30, 2008 03:25AM
I have never been a big quick hitter guy but I always keep at least 1 or 2 in the back pocket to pull out after a timeout or the start a half or a quarter or if we need some structure/direction in a certain situation.
Coach Shukla
June 29, 2009 02:15PM
I think this is a great offense to teach kids how to play basketball. Because I had only 4 weeks of practice before the New England Super Regionals, I was able to only put in a few layers – dribble penetration including post slides, pass & cut & laker cuts.

I had a lot of height on this team so I went with a 3-out 2-in set.

Below is a link to some video highlights of my 12U team. While the video doesn’t necessarily have great “textbook examples” (I had limited game footage and many of the highlights are baskets off transition), notice the passing! I attribute much of this great teamwork to the principles of the R&R offense.

[www.youtube.com]

Next year, I am looking to put in a few more layers. These kids are still very young and are soaking this stuff up!!!

Thanks,

-Rakesh (“Coach Shukla”)
Coach AJJohnson
July 11, 2009 06:14AM
You are right. It is an investment, but so is the career we have chosen. Good DVD set, with clear principles laid out, and great video to support it.
alby
August 24, 2009 05:49PM
Would layer one of the RR offesne...which I believe is the circle... be easy enough to teach to 8-10 yea rold players?
CoachLeClaire
August 26, 2009 02:04AM
You can run the drills and start to make the habits with them but dont expect them to circle rotate when dribble pen happens in a game. For 8 to 10 year olds, teach the circle motion and it will happen some times with your more aware or serious kids. Also teach pass and cut hard to the rim which will be your bread and butter and will work for an open layup by about the 3rd pass at the latest (and at that age, many times after the first pass).

If I were you i would teach pass, cut and fill; then circle motion as a drill and finally, add in pass and screen away to a curl or back cut. At that age, it will be more than enough,

Coach LeClaire
Coach Don
March 31, 2010 12:49AM
Would you be interested in selling either your copy or a copy of the read and react offense? I'd love to see it...
Thom
April 08, 2010 03:45PM
Coach,

I have seen the series, it is very similar to the open post and the dribble drive motion. I would say it is nothing too innovative. I've had a couple of top-25 college coaches look at it and they found nothing revolutionary in the series.

Some of the discs have just meetings with Bill Self, Andy Landers and they don't even use the offense. I think it is just a play on the dribble drive.

If you ever want to talk about the read and react give me a call in the office, 800-873-2730.

Thom McDonald
Basketball Coaching Director
Championship Productions, Inc.
BasketballCoach.com
thom.mcdonald@championshipproductions.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2010 05:03PM by administrator.
pride1
September 15, 2010 05:02PM
Coach,
I am looking to make changes in my coaching style and philosophy! I just took a job at an inner city high school and I am looking at some changes.
My players are very athletic and young. I will at times have not post player, at other times one post player and at a smaller time in the game two post players! I have been looking for an offense that is up tempo and can accomodate the above. Can you shed some light on the Read and React Offense? I am really wanting to change from Reverse Action to more of an up tempo style. I do love to press and push the ball! This is going to be our style, will this offense help with all of this?
Your help is much appreciated!
Thanks,
Coaching for a change
Coach B
September 22, 2010 03:37PM
I have run the R&R on for AAU for about 3 years now, I have nstalled ti with 2 different JV programs and will be using it in a feeder programs tarting this winter. All with great success.

It is nothing new but allows you to focus on the fundamentals of the game in every drill.

How fast you move will depend on your players. I break it down to 5 basic concepts and install it that way. (terms may be off a little, have not watched the video for 2 plus years) circle movement, pass and cut/replace are all taught at one time. We then teach driving the gaps then post play. last cutting once we feed the post.

It can be done in a week but you have to reinforce it daily in practice. My up coming team does some areas well but seen to not cut consistantly (will ruin the offense) so, we are spending a lot of time in fall ball on that piece alone.

We will be running a lot this year and then getting right into this offense.

Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Coach B
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

SecurityWorry-Free Shopping
SSL Certificates Payment Processing
About Us | Security & Privacy | Shipping | Help | Contact Us | Site Map | Drake University Distance Learning | Gift Certificates | Request Catalog | Affiliates
1-800-873-2730 | [email protected]