View Cart View Cart  |  Wish List  |  Checkout

Indianola
Better Offense for 8th grade girls- DDM or R&R?
January 19, 2010 05:04AM
I coach a 7-8th grade girls select team that is relatively small with good guard players and am considering implementing the DDM, R&R or 4-1 motion as my primary system. I would love to get your thoughts and experiences on the pros/cons of each for this age group. My practices are typically once a week (2hrs), sometimes twice a week, therefore, daily coaching isn't an option.

Thanks in advance.
JPLindgren
Re: Better Offense for 8th grade girls- DDM or R&R?
January 30, 2010 04:03AM
I really do love the DDM. I believe that if your desire is to teach your team to be better players down the road DDM is a good offense to do that. Now, you need to understand your team. If you are not an overall fast team i would not be using this offense. I used DDM with a group of 16U girls aau team two years ago and it started off really slow, but by the end of the three months we were competing and beating teams we were not even close to playing with earlier on in the aau season. These girls were not a great group of girls but they all improved their skills because basketball is afterall a reaction sport.

Negatives would be if you have a great post. And if you have know shooters it will not work out great. But again I am a huge fan of the DDM.
Wayne Walters
January 30, 2010 06:52PM
I have a hybrid of the two (DDM and R&R) that you might be interested in. If you are, please post an e-mail address.

Wayne Walters
CoachLeClaire
February 01, 2010 10:30PM
I would love to see your hybrid offense coach. My e-mail is pgleclaire@comcast.net. Thanks in advance,

Coach LeClaire
Keith Hjelle
March 18, 2010 05:34PM
Wayne Walters Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a hybrid of the two (DDM and R&R) that you
> might be interested in. If you are, please post
> an e-mail address.
>
> Wayne Walters

Coach Walters:
I too would like to see your hybrid DDM and R&R offense.
Email ke39su@netins.net.

Coach Hjelle
Coachdribbledrive
April 22, 2010 02:06PM
I've just used the Dribble Drive (slightly simplified) to take my girls to the English under 14's National schools sweet 16.

I agree with JPLindgren that the skills development from the Dribble Drive is just amazing! Players learn to move and think at the same time, which is really so beneficial.

Over time it's all about teaching them to play, not run from X to Y to Z, and that's what the dribble drive does.

Have a look at www.coachdribbledrive.com where I have some more info.
Thom
May 12, 2010 09:54PM
Coach,

My recommendation is this put your team in an offense that is going to give them rhythm, continuity and a pattern. Research shows that if they are not in a flow or rhythm then they are not going to shoot the ball at a high percentage. Look at some of our videos for example, the high post offense, 4 out 1 in motion offense, or flex. All of these offenses will give your players a sense of accomplishment and continuity. They know where to be, when to be there and where the scoring opportunities may come. Your job as a coach is to put them in a position to be successful. The dribble drive or motion offense gives them a lot of freedom but not a lot of structure to be successful in.

If you have any additional questions please feel free to contact me in the office at 800-873-2730.

Thom McDonald
Basketball Coaching Director
Championship Productions, Inc.
BasketballCoach.com
thom.mcdonald@championshipproductions.com
anonsccoach
May 14, 2010 02:44AM
I would also add that if you are only practicing once or twice a week, you will never be able to teach them a DDM or R&R offense. You need something simple. I am an open post coach myself, and I think it is much quicker to teach the basic cuts to than other offenses. In this case though, I would even consider something else because you just don't have the time.

You are coaching young players. Spend your time teaching fundamentals. Teach them a simple transition action. Teach them spots to break to. Teach them to pass and cut or screen, etc. You are very limited on practice time, and you don't want to spend it all on teaching a complicated offensive scheme. Teaching true motion takes a long time and a lot of practice. My experience is that it takes nearly half of a season of practicing/playing daily to get a team to play together in a true motion offense.

With 2-4 hours of practice a week, just teach them all to shoot, make lay-ups, play defense, handle the ball, etc. I know it sounds as if I am playing down your question, but you need to spend your time teaching skills and making them better players.
Thom
May 19, 2010 08:17PM
Coach,

I agree with the previous post. I would find something very easy, like the flex offense, something with a pattern that they could easily run within a short period of time. For example, Gary Williams (BD-2217) or Mark Few (BD-1921A). If you have any questions please call me at 800.873.2730.

Thom McDonald
Basketball Coaching Director
Championship Productions, Inc.
BasketballCoach.com
thom.mcdonald@championshipproductions.com
anonsccoach
July 02, 2010 12:01PM
If you think that he should be teaching the flex to a group of 8th grade girls with only 2 hours of practice a week, then you do NOT agree with my previous post.

My post said to worry about teaching fundamental skills instead of teaching an offense. If you only have two hours a week to practice, you do not have the time to teach the kids to run the flex continuity and still work on other things.

Teach spacing, passing, and movement. Don't spend any other amount of your limited time on something like running a pattern. What is the goal of having them play? My guess would be that it is to develop some skill and get some experience.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 15 plus 14?
SSL Certificates Payment Processing
About Us | Security & Privacy | Shipping | Help | Contact Us | Site Map | Drake University Distance Learning | Gift Certificates | Request Catalog | Affiliates
1-800-873-2730 | [email protected]