View Cart View Cart  |  Wish List  |  Checkout

Coach Sivils
12 ideas for selecting the drills for practice
March 28, 2012 03:02PM
Picking the right drills are essential in order to teach fundamentals, build confidence and create the right habits for excellent performance in actual games. Drills are how we as coaches build the foundation for the strategy and tactics we will use to compete. Drills are part of how our athletes learn to compete and challenge themselves. If planning practice in detail is part of the process of building a winning team, picking the right drills for practice is another essential part of the process!

Over the 20+ years in the coaching game I have arrived at a checklist of twelve items to use when selecting drills. Here is the list:

1) Create a master list of drills to use prior to the start of each season and stick to the drills on the list. The exception is if there is a need for a NEW drill to be created to teach something unforeseen during the off-season planning process, I will create the so-called custom drill and add it to the list.

2) The first question to ask when creating the master drill list is "does the drill fit the system?" If the drill does not teach a key fundamental or concept essential to the system it does not make the list. If there are better drills to teach the same things, the drill does not make the list. Be ruthless when creating the master drill list.

3) Is everything covered? In addition to the master drill list, I create a master list of skills, concepts, strategy, tactics and special situations. The drills have to teach all of this AND fit all of the above requirements to make the master drill list. Begin with the end in mind!

To read the rest of the 12 go to:

http://www.teachtowin.com/2012/03/improve-your-team-by-selecting-right.html
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

SecurityWorry-Free Shopping
SSL Certificates Payment Processing
About Us | Security & Privacy | Shipping | Help | Contact Us | Site Map | Drake University Distance Learning | Gift Certificates | Request Catalog | Affiliates
1-800-873-2730 | [email protected]